• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

clearence limit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
so if your clearence limit is the airport...your cleared for an ILS...go missed....does that mean your IFR flightpaln is terminated hence you flew to the airport, didn't make it......now your on the missed...what is the clrnce limit on the missed????

Lrjtcaptain said:
so if your clearence limit is the airport...your cleared for an ILS...go missed....does that mean your IFR flightpaln is terminated hence you flew to the airport, didn't make it......now your on the missed...what is the clrnce limit on the missed????

No. In that case your clearance limit is now the missed approach fix, which may or may not have a published holding pattern. You would miss, hold at the fix, then proceed to your alternate in the appropriate timeframe at a safe altitude.

Bear in mind all this is predicated on your being nordo and in IMC.

Last edited:
well, my understanding is that once cleard for an approach the clnce limit is the end of the approach, hence the end of the missed approach procedure. Screw my understanding.....What is the book answer?

Related: Pendleton, Oregon is a good example of the VOR not located at the airport, but both are called Pendleton. Often times a controller will say, "cleared direct Pendleton." I thought that meant direct to the airport since that was my clearance limit from the departure airport; I was wrong. A couple of pilots from my guard unit thought it meant to the VOR since it happened to be in the flight plan; they were wrong. One of the supervisor/trainers at Seattle center said the controller's handbook specifically states they must say either direct to the Pendleton VOR or direct to the Pendleton airport. I presume he was correct as I didn't take the time to research beyond calling him.

Pendleton VOR or direct to the Pendleton airport
Right, if it's to the navaid / fix and you don't have a clearance for the approach you better enter holding over that fix, if it's the airport I think the correct phraseology would be "via the bla bla bla approach". I fly to a lot of destinations where they are just moving coffee beans around on a table and many times I am not able to get on the frequency due to congestion or whatever, this sets up the above scenario in many cases.

Last edited:
hyflyt560 said:
Related: Pendleton, Oregon is a good example of the VOR not located at the airport, but both are called Pendleton. Often times a controller will say, "cleared direct Pendleton." I thought that meant direct to the airport since that was my clearance limit from the departure airport; I was wrong. A couple of pilots from my guard unit thought it meant to the VOR since it happened to be in the flight plan; they were wrong. One of the supervisor/trainers at Seattle center said the controller's handbook specifically states they must say either direct to the Pendleton VOR or direct to the Pendleton airport. I presume he was correct as I didn't take the time to research beyond calling him.

I'm pretty sure he's right. When I started flying RNAV capability was virtually non-existant. There were a fair number of co-named but not quite co-located VOR's and airports. A clearance to PDT was assumed to be to the VOR, then as filed and would often be stated "cleared to PDT as filed". Many of those VOR's have now been renamed i.e. Indy to Brickyard, Capital to Spinner etc. I will generally ask, in a case like PDT, if the controller means the airport or the VOR. It's an interesting little trap. You're cruising along FD&H with an enroute controller issued clearance to PDT, he either specified or you've assumed he meant the VOR, and now you're getting close, the freqs busy - What to do? You better set up a hold until you can get a word in edgewise. Never actually had it happen, but came close a few times.

The missed approach fix is your clearance limit if you miss the approach. Without further instruction from ATC you must hold as published or on the inbound course if you have missed.

Latest resources

Back