• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Class Dates at Southern Air and Focus

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do they all fly with flight mechs? And are they making better money than the FO/FE?

Most Tradewinds B-747s have Flight Mechs.
Not sure what they get paid, guess it varies on your negotiating skills.

Some of those guys spends weeks onboard, they deserve every penny...:(

F/Os or F/Es could in theory make 8 to 10K a month if flying on Days Off, getting paid over guarantee plus 25%, etc. In reality those who do are the exception and rare cases. Most guys don't break guarantee and all the dead-heading around the planet don't pay squat, not even on days off.

Quite the opposite. What I am doing is trying to save some young commuter pilot from making the worst mistake of his or her life. There are plenty of opportunities in the 747 world that don't require a training bond. Choose your future wisely!

Did you sign the training bond as a condition of your employment at Southern???

Have you even taken the time to read the thing? It's really bad. Like the part about them firing you and you still owing the money. And guess what.....The discipline/discharge protections of the CBA don't apply to someone still on probation. Can you see some potential for abuse here?

I don't have a horse in this race. If you're happy working at Southern, then I'm happy for you. If you're considering employment at Southern, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
'his or her '-no reason to read further.

Years ago I was a flight mechanic for Rosenbalm, then Rich Int'l. As a greasemonkey, only the captain was making more money. I made more than the F/O or PFE. Is that still the same?

Do they all fly with flight mechs? And are they making better money than the FO/FE?

Just curious.

Ronin
Southern calls them Tech Reps, and they tend to stay at one of our destinations (to meet us upon arrival), unless the aircraft is on a AdHoc/DOD trip, or is travelling to SA. (Then they ride along)

I know they get paid pretty well (from what I understand), and they get the same per diem as the flight crew does ($2.25/hr). I'd say that if you average out the three crew member's base salary, that they are paid right about that amount. You'd have to find out for yourself if you want the actual number.

And to those same "young commuter pilots":

When I said "working for one ACMI is pretty much the same as working for any other..." The example of Southern Air and Kalitta first came to mind...

I don't know what this Gear Yanker's personal beef is with Southern, he might have been turned down or sent packing from there in the past... Don't really care.

But I do know that at the least, Gear Yanker's posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

ACMI flying has it's fair share of "those guys" that have an real inferiority complex (and I'm betting that this is why Gear Yanker is the way he is)... This problem will manifest itself in such negative ways as knocking the competition (even though it is practically the same as your own workplace), or telling anyone that will listen IRL that he happens to fly a B747 (like it makes him "super-pilot" or something).

I'm sure you have all met or flown with this type of person. :rolleyes:

If you need a better example, it is like one of those guys you see at the regionals, that is always needlessly badmouthing other regional pilot groups (and their contracts), and makes a big point out of everyone knowing he flies the 70 seat version of the CRJ, not just the 50 seater (big whoop).

As long and stupid as this thread has turned out, hopefully you can get a little useful info from it if you are remotely interested in long haul 18 wheel trucking (err I mean cargo flying).

Sorry about the stupid flame war.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
This is a public forum and everyone has the right to express their opinion. What you get from it and who you choose to believe is up to you!

You can believe someone who seems to get into an argument on every thread he participates in. The same guy who has only been in this sector of the industry for a couple of years. The same guy who didn't sign a training bond to get his 747 job but feels it's okay for you to sign one. Maybe this guy wants everyone to join his company so he can get the days off he was originally promised....the days off that are now being taken from him due to a shortage of qualified crews.

Or, you could believe the grouchy old man who doesn't have a horse in the race. The guy with more than 20 years in this sector of the industry who is sincerely trying to illuminate a new development in the 747 non-sked world.....the requirement to sign a "training agreement".

Southern will mislead you in order to get you to accept the job. You will be required to sign a $24,000 training agreement that will force you to stay there for two years.

There are many choices available for those who want to fly the 747 in a non-sked environment. Please be smart and choose one that doesn't require a training bond!!

I seriously have been looking at getting in to this type of flying, and it seems like there are alot of options. As far as I can tell, gear yanker is just trying to help, not really trying to bash anyone. I personally having a choice, would not sign a training contract, but I have no problem with those that decide to do so. Anyway thanks for all the info guys.

This is a public forum and everyone has the right to express their opinion. What you get from it and who you choose to believe is up to you!

You can believe someone who seems to get into an argument on every thread he participates in. The same guy who has only been in this sector of the industry for a couple of years. The same guy who didn't sign a training bond to get his 747 job but feels it's okay for you to sign one. Maybe this guy wants everyone to join his company so he can get the days off he was originally promised....the days off that are now being taken from him due to a shortage of qualified crews.

Or, you could believe the grouchy old man who doesn't have a horse in the race. The guy with more than 20 years in this sector of the industry who is sincerely trying to illuminate a new development in the 747 non-sked world.....the requirement to sign a "training agreement".

Southern will mislead you in order to get you to accept the job. You will be required to sign a $24,000 training agreement that will force you to stay there for two years.

There are many choices available for those who want to fly the 747 in a non-sked environment. Please be smart and choose one that doesn't require a training bond!!

If you are just trying to help other crewmembers instead of throw sh!!s about Southern, then you should be plane happy torwards other crewmembers who didn't have to sign the agreement to get the job.
U sound like you are jealous towards people who didn't sign the contract. maybe eventually these contracts will go way. I personally believe these contract is pushing good crewmembers far away from the Southern.

There are many different ways to help other crewmembers. And, I don't think U are doing the right way.

There's a reason they try and make you an indentured servant with a training bond. It's because it's a crap company and that's the only way they can try and keep people.

At least with some of the other scumbag outfits, you can tell the chief pilot and DO to pound sand where the sun don't shine and walk away when you find out what kind of people your working for.

Latest resources

Back