Class B misdemeanor?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mayday,

Most of the HR departments at the Majors will disagree with you.

They have thousands to pick and choose from, why would they choose a criminal over a non criminal?

In their mind it is as simple as that....Criminal record or no criminal record. You have to realize that in a 121 incident where somebody is injured, the lawyers will have a field day with this pilots record, doesn't matter if he was to blame for the incident or not. HR departments consider things like that when making decisions.

In my professional opinion, the guy should try to fight it and at least have it reduced to a non misdemeanor citation. Major airlines have little sympathy or compassion when it come to things like this, they have plenty to choose from.

He can probably overcome such a problem, but having flown at a Major, and sat in on some of the hiring boards at my old regional, I can tell you it is much more than a speedbump if you are looking to fly for an airline. In an age where passenger perception is everything, it matters.

Spend the money on a good lawyer, chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

RipCurl said:
He talked to a lawyer who said they have a pretty good chance of fighting it, but also said that everybody and their mom has something like this on their record, so it might not be worth it.

This is diplo-speak for "just go and pay the ticket."

The PD that I was on had various things get tossed for stupid reasons, but we never lost a noise ordinance violation for a loud party...and we didn't have a decibel meter. The neighbor feeling compeled to call the police is almost prima facie evidence that the party was too loud...couple that with an officer's observations (keeping in mind that the last thing ANY cop anywhere wants to do is chase down stupid noise complaints all night and would just as gladly knock on your neighbor's door to tell him/her that the violation didn't warrant an arrest --i.e. leave us alone-- as waste a bunch of time at a loud party) and you've got a conviction...regardless of how "good" the defense attorney happens to be.

Last edited:
Tell him to plead guilty and save the money. Hopefully he can lay low for 2-4 years before applying for a job. Any type of misdemeanor can be expunged. Meaning taking off your record for good. All documents/papers destroyed. When asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime i believe you can say no since everything is off your record. So tell him to plead guiltily and save the money for the expungement. I think you can get an expungement 2-4 years down the road through a lawyer.
Just my .02

Tell him to plead guilty and save the money. Hopefully he can lay low for 2-4 years before applying for a job. Any type of misdemeanor can be expunged. Meaning taking off your record for good. All documents/papers destroyed. When asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime i believe you can say no since everything is off your record. So tell him to plead guiltily and save the money for the expungement. I think you can get an expungement 2-4 years down the road through a lawyer.
Just my .02

Congratulations, you just got him fired on the first day of groundschool.
The airline ackground check will see everything from the day you were born. You have to tell them about every ticket misdemeanor etc ever CHARGED with, EVER. Or you won't make it, period. Doesn't really matter what it is, if you lie to them they will fire you...

RipCurl,

Tell your friend before he dumps a ton of money on an Attorney to call Court Administration to find out who the Proscutor is for his case. Do it now! If time is short ask court admin. for a continuance. They will usually do it for a short time, but only once. Contact the prosecutor and see if you can personally meet with him for 10 minutes. Briing your ticket along with the police report you picked up from the police office so he does not have to hunt down your paperwork. He usually will not even get it unless you plead not guilty. Bring your own paperwork to see him/her. They will be impressed. Explain your situation to the prosecutor how this could really hurt your career. Don't make anything up and be honest. Tell him you are more than willing to pay the fine amount but you would like a continuance for dissmissal for 6 months with the fine amount going as costs of prosecution. If he says you have a deal, set up a time to meet with him at your court appearance date and get your agreement on the record so there is no question you have it. In 6 months the prosecutor will file a dismissal and you have no criminal record. If he says no dice, you will have to decide if you want to fight it. I know the gig, I'm a prosecutor for a small town. I've done this numerous times mostly for military types getting ready to leave for boot camp, even cops in training at the tech school. Good Luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

get the lawyer, work a deal for a defered sentence. if he stays out of trouble to 12 months (or whatever time period the judge decides) it goes off his record as if it never happened. it's a better and cheaper deal than trying to get it expunged later.

urflyingme?! said:
Congratulations, you just got him fired on the first day of groundschool.
The airline ackground check will see everything from the day you were born. You have to tell them about every ticket misdemeanor etc ever CHARGED with, EVER. Or you won't make it, period. Doesn't really matter what it is, if you lie to them they will fire you...

How far back can the Airlines go... I thought there were federal laws about this, but am too lazy to look it up. I had a DUI in 98, and was told 10/yrs. It's never held me back, but I have never lied about it either. Security clearances...what have ya. As far as the Airlines I would never put offenses on the resume anyway. At least get yourself to the interview, and plead your case.

I wouldn't waive my right to a fair trial. You don't need a Lawyer, just do some research. Never know the judge might throw it out??

urflyingme?! said:

What?

Even the speeding tickets one gets rubbed off the record by making a deal with the prosecutor and going to a defensive driving class, or other small items that have been expunged? When its expunged, its expunged-- or so I've always been told. Where do you get this info, and can anyone else back this up?

Latest resources

Back