Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RipCurl

surfing the midwest
A friend of a friend of a friend had a party this weekend, and everybody showed up, including the police. They broke up the party and also arrested and charged him with violating a city noise ordinance, which is a class B misdemeanor in his state. Is it worth spending the thousand dollars on lawyer and court fees to take it to district court and fight it, or should he just plead guilty, pay the $150 fine, and have it on his record? He talked to a lawyer who said they have a pretty good chance of fighting it, but also said that everybody and their mom has something like this on their record, so it might not be worth it. Any opinions on how it might effect his future in aviation?

Last edited:
I don't have something like that on my record ....... because I'm a square and I play it safe.... I even double bag

IMO, I would fight it simply because $1k isn't worth it to me to have a criminal record. Although if I was poor and $1k was either more than I had, or would make me unable to pay the rent I would take the record.

What I am getting at, is if he can afford to fight it, IMHO he should.

Save the cash...

From my experience with silly city ordinances such as this, the cops came out because of a complaint. Maybe several in the neighborhood. Some of the big city cops have a decibel meter, and meter it before they bust you. The decibel level is recored, so its your word against theirs. My 2 cents says pay the silly ticket, you'll loose in court, and wonder why you didn't just pay it to begin with and be done with it. Don't know how it would affect your flying career though. I'm still a lowly student with a stupid grin on my face everytime I climb into the mighty warrior!:D

KeroseneSnorter said:
Lots of competition for the good jobs out there, it might come back to bite him later.

it might, but it was not drug, alcohol or driving related... and in all fairness, not a "serious" crime against society. I'm not trying to minimize a class B misdemeanor, but if he's upfront and honest about it on applications, and in interviews, I'd be surprised if this was a showstopper... that is, if he has a completely clean record otherwise, and not many traffic violations.

mayday1 said:
it might, but it was not drug, alcohol or driving related... and in all fairness, not a "serious" crime against society. I'm not trying to minimize a class B misdemeanor, but if he's upfront and honest about it on applications, and in interviews, I'd be surprised if this was a showstopper... that is, if he has a completely clean record otherwise, and not many traffic violations.

I agree with that, I don't see interviewers closing the book on him for getting arrested because he threw a good party! I think if he just explains it he'll be just fine..........

Funny how the folks telling this guy that it is not a big deal are all very low time.

When you are in competition for a 4 million dollar career at a major airline......EVERYTHING counts.

Not saying that it will for sure flame him, but if they have the choice between 100 guys that have a whistle clean record, and a guy with a criminal record, no matter how silly, the whistle clean record guys will always have the advantage.

Not a show stopper for sure, but it will effect his prospects. Heck, too many speeding tickets can cause you to lose out, and I do not know many people that doesn't have at least one.

KeroseneSnorter said:
Funny how the folks telling this guy that it is not a big deal are all very low time.

When you are in competition for a 4 million dollar career at a major airline......EVERYTHING counts.

doesn't have anything to do with being low time... I may be low time in aviation, but have some quality time in other industries... industries where they do extensive background checks (criminal, credit, drug, education, identity, etc.). Of course, black marks in any of these areas is not good, but rarely an isolated incident (if in fact it is an isolated incident) such as this (noise ordinance violation) should not be a showstopper, or even much of a speed bump on the way to getting a good job -- whether it be pilot, executive, lawyer, etc.

Latest resources

Back