• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clarity Aloft headset?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I didn't have a problem with the mic moving when I moved. The way it's designed, it actually fits very well on your head. They do give you an extra band to put around the headset, but they say only use it if you need to. I found that the headset stayed in place good enough as itself. I did have a problem with the chord being a little heavy and it weighed the headset down, but they give you clips to use just for this reason. I just clipped the chord to my left shirt pocket and it worked fine. As far as the volume goes, they give you a choice when you initially call in between the volume box being close to the plugs or closer to the headset. This box is also where you would plug in your cell phone or mp3 player. Let me know if you have any more questions. If you are still scepticle, you can always send them back within 30 days. I don't plan on sending mine back.

You said that you can have them put the volume box closer to the plugs or closer to the headset...which did you pick?

Would it be better to have it closet to the plugs since there is usually a place near the plugs where you could rest the volume box? Does it weigh down the headset if you put it closer to the headset?

How long does it take for the ear plugs to begin to hurt your ears, or do they at all? Did it take you a while to figure out how to put them in correctly so as to eliminate most of the cockpit noise?

You said that they eliminate more noise than most ANR's. Are these ANR or not?

Sorry for the questions...it would be great to find a lightweight headset that doesn't have pressure points (like most do on my head) and that doesn't weigh a whole lot. You probably don't have anymore problems with wearing sunglasses and trying to fit them underneath the ear cups either. That's the worst part, some ear cups will smash the sunglass frame into your temple and make for an uncomfortable flight.

Last question...but it's very important!
Their website says to replace the ear plugs every X number of times (I'm too lazy to go check it again but it was a low number, like every 4 or 5 days, uses, legs, something like that.). What is your experience with "ear plug life" and when you have to replace them, how much does it cost? Are you going to end up spending $150 bucks a year on ear plug replacements?!

Thanks,
FI

I have a question as well.

What is the wind noise in the mic like for the other pilot? Any complaints or compliments on the wind noise? As anyone who flies the ERJ can tell you how that can be a problem sometime!

One reason I dont buy the telex is due to the wind noise most of them have. ( I know you can adjust the gain on the mic for the headset but it just seems to be a pain in the butt.)

Thanks for your time!

celloman

I've had the Clarity headset now for something like 3 months. I've used it in various Citations, King Airs, and other pistons. It's great for eliminating noise as much as any ANR! Occasionally the band puts some pressure above my ears, but otherwise it's great. I have yet to change out the ear pieces. As long as you keep the ear pieces clean, they will last a lot longer than recommended. Mine are still pliable and still seal very well in my ear and I've used it for about 15-20 hours now. I don't use it every time becuase I also have an 850 for use in the jets. But I will say it works great for me.

Flying Illini said:
You said that you can have them put the volume box closer to the plugs or closer to the headset...which did you pick?

Would it be better to have it closet to the plugs since there is usually a place near the plugs where you could rest the volume box? Does it weigh down the headset if you put it closer to the headset?

How long does it take for the ear plugs to begin to hurt your ears, or do they at all? Did it take you a while to figure out how to put them in correctly so as to eliminate most of the cockpit noise?

You said that they eliminate more noise than most ANR's. Are these ANR or not?

Sorry for the questions...it would be great to find a lightweight headset that doesn't have pressure points (like most do on my head) and that doesn't weigh a whole lot. You probably don't have anymore problems with wearing sunglasses and trying to fit them underneath the ear cups either. That's the worst part, some ear cups will smash the sunglass frame into your temple and make for an uncomfortable flight.

Last question...but it's very important!
Their website says to replace the ear plugs every X number of times (I'm too lazy to go check it again but it was a low number, like every 4 or 5 days, uses, legs, something like that.). What is your experience with "ear plug life" and when you have to replace them, how much does it cost? Are you going to end up spending $150 bucks a year on ear plug replacements?!

Thanks,
FI

1) I chose the volume box closer to the plugs.
2) This is why I chose the one closer to the plugs but if you just clip the chord to your shirt, it's no problem.
3) I don't know, I just got them, but they advertise you can wear them over a month if you clean your ears. If you know how to use earplugs, you know how to use this headset.
4) Not anr, read their website.
5) No problems with glasses at all. No pressure points. Flew an 8 hour day yesterday and no headache.
6) Six month supply of earpieces go for around $25.

celloman said:
I have a question as well.

What is the wind noise in the mic like for the other pilot? Any complaints or compliments on the wind noise? As anyone who flies the ERJ can tell you how that can be a problem sometime!

One reason I dont buy the telex is due to the wind noise most of them have. ( I know you can adjust the gain on the mic for the headset but it just seems to be a pain in the butt.)

Thanks for your time!

celloman

I have no idea what you are talking about. The wind noise I am talking about is from the airplane and not the headsets. I'm sure you already know this, but just turn your hot mic off. Works pretty good when there is no conversation.

Bought my Clarity's last year at the AOPA convention...flown 'em about 600 hours since, no problems.

My Maule is probably the loudest airplane I've flown, and they work better than the DC ANR conversion that I used to use. After 10 hours flying home from TX one day, I was a LOT less fatigued than I used to be...ANR's still make noise to cancel it out.

As to hot spots, after about 7 hours, I was starting to feel it inside my ears...I jam the ear plugs in just about far enough to meet in the middle ;)

Fly safe!

David

Thanks for the info. I fly a Lear 60. Most people think that jets are for the most part quiet. When the cabin air is turned on along with the wind noise it can be fatiguing as well. We routinely do 4 1/2 hour legs three times a week in addition to our short legs. The 60 comes with Telex 750's. They feel good, but I hear everything.

Latest resources

Back