Clarity Aloft headset?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
exchexflyer said:
I have no idea what you are talking about.

He's talking about the Telex headset mics (VERY high quality and why they do what he is talking about) picking up the noise from transsonic spike directly above the ERJs flightdeck.

This can be minimized three ways easily:

1. Both you and your compadre in the flight deck need to have the Digital Audio Panel set up with the INPH and HDPH knobs no further than 12 o'clock. Seriously, if you've got any of your audio knobs past that point -- you need to get your hearing checked by someone other than your AME.

2. On the Telex headset, there is a small hole on the mic housing (usually covered by a small black sticker and the bracket that holds the earpiece tab). Remove the sticker and use a small eyeglass screwdriver and turn NO MORE THAN 1/4 turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Took a whole whopping 5 minutes to make this "pain in the butt" adjustment. ;)

3. Turn the HOT MIC off.

Any excess "wind" noise as you go from ship to ship can be easily remedied by minor tweaks to the INPH knob.

Been flying with Telex headsets for the last 5 years and never had one complaint from the other person in the flightdeck and actually have had more than one person remark about how they "always heard the Telex was so bad but don't hear anything out of the ordinary."

Finally, I find that it is usually the guy wearing the DC headset that, when he turnd his hot mic off, all the noise goes away, not the other way around. A good percentage of our pilots wear the Telex w/custom earmolds. Whenever I fly with one of those guys, it is the quietest of the flight decks vs. the guys who wear the company-supplied clamps.

I have been using mine for about three months, I took the noise suppressor off, very quiet cockpit, I leave the headset on the entire flight without a problem, great headset.

Latest resources

Back