CL300 Sets speed record

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GVFlyer said:
Yes, it's an amazing airplane at it's price. The G200 has the edge on speed and range and a slightly larger cabin, but it costs $4 million more. The Citation X is more price competitive at $19.26 million and quick (2978 nm @ M.0.85; 3098 nm @ M 0.82), but the cabin is small: 23'6" L X 5'8" H X 5'6" W.

I think Flex Jet is going to sell a lot of CL300's. If entry into service goes smoothly it will be a great "Continental" aircraft.

GV
Well, just to inject my 2 cents, Gulfstream is an incredible company when it comes to after the sale service. That is just as big, if not more of an issue when it comes to buying aircraft. Just go ask General Motors why they're dumping their five X's...Is it because the X's are bad airplanes? No, as a matter of fact they love the airplanes, the X has been great for them. It's Cessna's inability to provide service and stand behind their product, something that company is famous (or infamous) for.

If Bombardier can service anywhere near Gulfstream they will sell a ton of aircraft, if not then a couple of years down the road it'll show.

"The X should need about 10,000 #s and could take 11,400 #s with 8 pax unless TO runway length is an issue.... Not sure if it is at CRQ, but it is at HPN rw 34. Would take about 4 hrs 24 minutes with those winds @ ISA 41,000 ft."

I'm not a Citation pilot but it was my understanding the reason they chose CRQ is that the Citation could not do the trip off Rwy 24 under given conditions. That may not be true for Rwy 6. However, how often do they use Rwy 6 at Palomar?

LXJ31 said:
I'm not a Citation pilot but it was my understanding the reason they chose CRQ is that the Citation could not do the trip off Rwy 24 under given conditions. That may not be true for Rwy 6. However, how often do they use Rwy 6 at Palomar?
As I posted above....the X will do the trip from CRQ. We ran it through our dispatchers' computer a few days ago.

Also, it's hard to match Bombardier's "conditions" when they haven't disclosed what they are. (ie...temp, weights etc)

I am not bashing the CL 300, I think its a nice looking plane. With the exception of the EDO-floats it uses for flap hinges. :D

LXJ31 said:
Whats the X fuel burn at .92 cruise? I've never flown one but always wanted to know.
Gulfstream took a Citation X in on a trade and let the flight test engineers have it for qualitative testing before it was resold (this competitive analysis is something many manufaturers do, Bombardier leased and instrumented a GV, but they were disappointed in their results; Cessna sent an Experimental Test Pilot to GV initial at FSI). The engineers ballasted the X to 8 pax and put the requisite test stations and orange wire in the jet and this is what they came up with including NBAA IFR reserves:

Normal Cruise - M 0.86 Range: 2,613nm
Long Range Cruise - M 0.82 Range: 2,767nm
Intermediate Cruise - M 0.90 Range: 1,889nm
High Speed Cruise -M 0.92 Range: 773nm
MMO - M 0.93M

Takeoff distance 5,140ft.
(SL,ISA, MGTOW)

Landing distance 3,410ft.
(SL,ISA,MLW)

Initial Altitude FL 430

When ballasted for 4 passengers the engineers got:

M 0.85 - 2,978 nm
M 0.82 - 3,098 nm
M 0.92 - Not Tested

The test crew observed that the highest cruise speeds occured in the mid- 30's, but fuel consumption increased by almost 50 percent. Flying in the 40's dropped cruise speed by 25 to 35 knots, but available cruise speed was still up to 499 knots.

Direct Cost per hour: $1453 (CL300 Direct Cost is $1297, G200 is $1348 for comparison)

By the way, did you know that Richard Smith was the first pilot at NJA to get a Citation X type rating? He was as excited as a kid at Christmas when the first one was delivered and gave me a tour of the bird during a visit to Columbus back in the early days of Gulfstream Shares.

GV

Last edited:
GVFlyer said:
High Speed Cruise - M 0.92 Range: 773nm
YIKES! :eek:

I guess this pretty much debunks the myth that Citation X guys are criss-crossing the country all day long doing M0.92...

Falcon Capt said:
YIKES! :eek:

I guess this pretty much debunks the myth that Citation X guys are criss-crossing the country all day long doing M0.92...
Of course not....which aircraft IS going to takeoff at MTGW and go straight to Mmo @ FL410 in level flight????
We hardly ever carry 8 pax anyway. Either way, even at max wt, we usually are able to cruise at .89 for the first hour and .90 or above the rest of the way.

....and look sexy while you're doin' it man. That X is the best looking bird in the sky!!

GVFlyer said:
Gulfstream took a Citation X in on a trade and let the flight test engineers have it for qualitative testing before it was resold (this competitive analysis is something many manufaturers do, Bombardier leased and instrumented a GV, but they were disappointed in their results; Cessna sent an Experimental Test Pilot to GV initial at FSI). The engineers ballasted the X to 8 pax and put the requisite test stations and orange wire in the jet and this is what they came up with including NBAA IFR reserves:

Normal Cruise - M 0.86 Range: 2,613nm
Long Range Cruise - M 0.82 Range: 2,767nm
High Speed Cruise -M 0.92 Range: 773nm
MMO - M 0.93M

Takeoff distance 5,140ft.
(SL,ISA, MGTOW)

Landing distance 3,410ft.
(SL,ISA,MLW)

Initial Altitude FL 430

When ballasted for 4 passengers the engineers got:

M 0.85 - 2,978 nm
M 0.82 - 3,098 nm
M 0.92 - Not Tested

The test crew observed that the highest cruise speeds occured in the mid- 30's, but fuel consumption increased by almost 50 percent. Flying in the 40's dropped cruise speed by 25 to 35 knots, but available cruise speed was still up to 499 knots.

Direct Cost per hour: $1453 (CL300 Direct Cost is $1297, G200 is $1348 for comparison)
The runway 24 length at CRQ is 4897 ft, according to a web source and, without the chart in front of me, has a sharp uphill grade.

Whats avg. MGTOW for the NJA Citation X?

I'd like to know the exact numbers we used are too, maybe Flex357 knows.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back