• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

civil air patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This may not be a concern for you, but I visited a CAP unit and attended a meeting in Florida. I was turned off by the religiousness of the unit. Since most of the youth members were sponsored by a church, I felt more like I was at a revival than a search and rescue operation. That and most of the senior members were pretty far on the conservative end of things. I imagine this is pretty common.

That aside, most CAP members I've ever known have turned out to be real tools. Proud of their uniforms, though.

I guess my experience (youth CAP) was totally different. We had a good bunch of guys, were proud of our uniforms, and had a lot of fun. It was slightly dorky, but no more than Boy Scouts - why go camping, learn to tie knots, or skin rabbits for an acorn stew, when you can learn to fly and hang out with pilots and their airplanes?

We had a WW2 B-24 pilot who came in and taught us naviagation and told some cool stories to boot. Only had one or two tools in a squadron of about 20, and they were effectively ignored, or mocked as necessary.

This is going to seem impossible or maybe ridiculous, but I directly credit my CAP experience with success in UPT and a career in USAF fighters. I'd say give it a try... it's not like you are enlisting. You can bail at any time.

Its a good program, especially for youths. Sure the uniforms are dorky, but like the scouts it teaches kids discipline and responsiblity. My children will probably end up joining it one day.

CitationXDriver said:
I know a few years ago there was an ELT going off at a local airport and the CAP showed up looking for it. They narrowed it down to a Hawker, which belonged to a large fractional, that was sitting on the ramp for the night. Despite the objection of the line guys, the CAP members broke out the tool box and started opening random panels on the Hawker. Luckily a quick thinking line guy got the Maintenance Department for said fractional on the phone, which then proceded to chew some CAP ass and come back for seconds. The plane had to be put back together and inspected by a mechanic. These are all personal experiences, I am sure locations vary, but I say stay away.
Had a sort of similar situation (not quite as dramatic) a few years ago. I got called out to the airport from the hotel late one night, apparently the ELT had gone off when we had landed (not my leg:D ). I got out to the airplane to try to shut it off, and there is a CAP guy on site "supervising" the whole event. For some reason, the "Reset" switch wasn't operating.

I got on the phone to MOC to try to get some more ideas on how to shut the thing off, and they said that they would have to roadtrip MX out to the airplane. As I am having a rather detailed conversation with MOC, I mention that they may want to bring a new battery with them, as the ELT had been going off for a couple of hours now. As soon as I said that, the "Colonel" breathing down my neck interrupted my important conversation with - MY COMPANY - and shouted out over my voice "Oh, yeah, they DEFINITELY need to bring a battery up here!"

YMMV, but there definitely seems to be a little "irrational exuberance" from some of these guys.

LAXSaabdude.

JCJ said:
Most mission flying we do is fully funded by other agencies, such as USAF.

We are heavily supported by the USAF, and many of our activities are tasked to us by the USAF. When we are doing things tasked to us by the USAF, we have status as the auxiliary of the USAF.
The CAP is the USAF's Axillary. The CAP's money, aircraft come from the Air Force's budget.

One downside to the CAP adult program is that, like with all other volunteer organizations, theres a lot of the whole "all cheifs and no indians" syndrome. We had a guy once go up to a Lt. in the real air force and since he was a captain in CAP he demanded a salute. Another guy thought he knew everything about drill in the military because he drilled with axes in the fire department for parades.

TR4A said:
The CAP is the USAF's Axillary. The CAP's money, aircraft come from the Air Force's budget.

Well, sorta... Not to get too crazy about it, but there are things about CAP & its relationship with the USAF that are still hotly debated by the lawyers, even though the organization is over 60 years old.

There is federal legislation establishing CAP as a federally chartered non-profit corporation and other federal legislation establishing it as the auxiliary of the USAF. Wing and Region Commanders are actually corprorate officers of CAP (the corporation), as are several of the national staff.

Although we are the Auxiliary of the USAF, we are not a part of DOD and not a military service.

Most of what we actually do is in the capacity of the USAF Auxiliary, but we also have a lot of things we do (including some of our flying missions) as a Corporate (non-USAF Auxiliary) entity.

Our aircraft and other equipment are owned by the Corporation, but are provided to the Corporation through funding provided by the SECAF (another federal law specifically authorizes this arrangement). A substantial portion of our budget is from (or flows through) the USAF, but we also have a separate corporate budget and funding from sources other than the USAF.

Now maybe you understand why we have so many lawyers.

About the dorks, they drive us nuts too. They are in the minority and we try to keep them under control or steer them elsewhere. Unfortunately, they stick out like sore thumbs. As pointed out, this also varies alot with the locality.

The majority of us are just pilots or other people who want to do something we think is fun, and serves the community.

It's not for everyone, but for many of us it's great flying and alot of fun.

I was a CAP cadet commander in High School and I loved my squadron in KC. I had some of the best times with other cadets there but mostly all of it was b/c we had a great squadron commander (senior member). After he left, the squadron fell apart and I bailed. CAP is a blast but yes there are lot of dorks, some cool people, some real leaders, and the occasional juvenile delenquient sent to us for discipline. I rarely if ever flew but we went on several "jerk made a hard landing, set off ELT" missions at 3 in the morning. Its a pay to play organization where yes there are a lot of people who want to play military but not join kind of dorks. I say go to a few meetings and get a feel for it. Again some great times were had in CAP.

The unit is really good in norman , just go to the meeting and ask for tom eastman he was great in getting me involved in the squadron while I was TDY at Airman from California. Their 172 when
I was there was 15 dollars an hour dry and I used it to complete my long night X/c for commercial at 1/3 the cost that Airman wanted.
It is a good program and getting involved in the cadet side is very rewarding

JCJ said:
Well, sorta... Not to get too crazy about it, but there are things about CAP & its relationship with the USAF that are still hotly debated by the lawyers, even though the organization is over 60 years old.
I spent 12 years working with the CAP as a USAF Reserve Assistance Officer and Wing Reserve Coordinator in three wings. The vast majority of the CAP's funding comes from Congress through the AF's budget. FY2004 amount was $31.4 million. The CAP receives state funding also. Fy2004 was $2.8 million. When you are flying other missions for other agencies such as DEA and US Forest Service your flights are funded by them.

On July 1, 1946, President Truman established CAP as a federally chartered benevolent civilian corporation, and Congress passed Public Law 557 on May 26, 1948, which made CAP the auxiliary of the new U.S. Air Force.

Latest resources

Back