civil air patrol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TR4A said:
I spent 12 years working with the CAP as a USAF Reserve Assistance Officer and Wing Reserve Coordinator in three wings. The vast majority of the CAP's funding comes from Congress through the AF's budget. FY2004 amount was $31.4 million. The CAP receives state funding also. Fy2004 was $2.8 million. When you are flying other missions for other agencies such as DEA and US Forest Service your flights are funded by them.

On July 1, 1946, President Truman established CAP as a federally chartered benevolent civilian corporation, and Congress passed Public Law 557 on May 26, 1948, which made CAP the auxiliary of the new U.S. Air Force.

Agreed. The great majority of the budget is from the USAF, but there is also funding from some states and some private funding as well.

There have been some recent changes in funding

In the last year or two, some flights that used to be AFAM's now must be corporate missions. A legal determination was made that if the USAF was going to use their auxiliary (i.e. CAP) to do a mission, it had to be a mission that the USAF was itself allowed by statute to do.

So now some of the missions we do that are not permitted by statute to be done by the USAF, such as support to state & local EMA exclusive of a presidentially declared disaster or support to a local humanitarian agency, must be corporate missions. We can do them as "CAP the corporation", but not as "CAP the Air Force Auxiliary".

Also now days any support by CAP to any federal agency must be an AFAM and be routed through the USAF. Although DEA, FEMA, etc can use us they must task us through the AF, and not directly. Their payments still come from them to us, but now they have to filter through the AF reimbursement process.

(I'm presently a wing cv so most of this paperwork ends up going across my desk)

PC12Cowboy said:
Their 172 when
I was there was 15 dollars an hour dry and I used it to complete my long night X/c for commercial at 1/3 the cost that Airman wanted.

Do all CAP units rent their aircraft to members?

KigAir said:
Do all CAP units rent their aircraft to members?

If you are a member and are checked out in the aircraft, you can use the aircraft for personal proficiency flying at a pretty reasonable rate (usually $20 to $30/hr dry). It's not exactly the same as "renting" - there are a few more restrictions, but it is a good way to stay current and build time. We expect people who join to contribute to the overall program (not just to fly), but we also want our members to fly as much as they can to maintain their proficiency

I absolutely despise people that join CAP just to uild time. If thats your motivation, then please find some other way to do it. I joined CAP because I want to do something positive in my community. I enjoy doing search and rescue missions and I enjoyed mentoring to young people and teacing them leadership skills. I am in the "real" military also and yes ther eare similarities, and I am one of those people that enforces uniform standards and conduct mainly because if youar are going to be part of an organiation whether it be military , business whatever, you should abide by its rules. You represent more than yourself, so you cant just do what you want to do. thats like being a pilot and deciing Idont want toabide by the Class B airspace rule and fly into it just because Ican.

I require all my members to wear the military style uniform if they work around cadets. cadets have to wear it so if youwork with cdets, I think you should set the example. I cant critisize a cadet if I am not right myself. Like the other poster siad CAP isnt for everyone. SO, if you like working with and helping people then please joine. If you just want to build time. join a flying club.

The cadet prgram is nothing like the Boy Scouts. you can get your advanced licenses but you have to find a CAP CFI who would be willing to do it for free, which is very hard.

flyguy6 you sound like a very unhappy camper. I was in the air force so please dont make that a factor that you were in the military because I really dont care i really care if people know if I was or was not in that military.

I amsorry if I seem unhappy. It might b beacuse I am 8,000 miles away from my home fighting a war i didnt neccessarily ask for. And unlike the air force, I dont live in a nice air conditoned trailer and walk around camp in civvies. So please excuse me.

I just get a little irritated when people pass judgement or make statements they dont know anything about. I dont do that. It is very illogical too me. Thats all. Sorry to offend. I will stick my questions to avation related matters.

phantomdriver said:
Can cap members go on military bases?

CAP membership of it's own accord does not confer access to military bases. We are a civilian organization. If CAP members have a legitimite reason to be on a military base, and the Base Commander or designee approves, they are given access (just as any other civilian).

With that said, the USAF bases are strongly encouraged to support CAP and many CAP units and activities are located on USAF bases. A few are located on bases of other services.

Last edited:
Flyguy6 said:
I absolutely despise people that join CAP just to uild time. If thats your motivation, then please find some other way to do it. I joined CAP because I want to do something positive in my community. I enjoy doing search and rescue missions and I enjoyed mentoring to young people and teacing them leadership skills. I am in the "real" military also and yes ther eare similarities, and I am one of those people that enforces uniform standards and conduct mainly because if youar are going to be part of an organiation whether it be military , business whatever, you should abide by its rules. You represent more than yourself, so you cant just do what you want to do. thats like being a pilot and deciing Idont want toabide by the Class B airspace rule and fly into it just because Ican.

I require all my members to wear the military style uniform if they work around cadets. cadets have to wear it so if youwork with cdets, I think you should set the example. I cant critisize a cadet if I am not right myself. Like the other poster siad CAP isnt for everyone. SO, if you like working with and helping people then please joine. If you just want to build time. join a flying club.

The cadet prgram is nothing like the Boy Scouts. you can get your advanced licenses but you have to find a CAP CFI who would be willing to do it for free, which is very hard.

I don't have a problem with folks to join, contribute to the program, and by the way take advantage of the opportunity to build some time at a good rate. But like Flyguy6, I think if you are just looking to build time, join a flying club.

It takes a lot of effort by our volunteers to keep our organization running, and if you join we will expect you to be a part of the entire team, not just show up to fly.

Flyguy6 said:
I amsorry if I seem unhappy. It might b beacuse I am 8,000 miles away from my home fighting a war i didnt neccessarily ask for.
Suck it up, baby. You chose to serve. You don't pick your wars.

Latest resources

Back