CitationShares Sept. Class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
J.B
As to your first question, I dont know why you are not coming up with the same numbers.
Are you multiplying the final number by 100?

Second question, we operate out of many airports where there is high surrounding terrain so 2nd segment is critical, and unlike the military or 121 where it is provided to you, at many fractionals the pilot does the figuring.

You are correct that if you can do 690' in the example you gave you will be OK, but how do you know you will be able to do the 690' out of ASE on a hot day with an engine failure? The answer of course is in the aircraft AFM but the info provided by the manufacturer is not in FPM but gradients so the necessity for the conversions.

You broke the code on the easy way to do it by looking under the 100kt. column. In the example of 460' this would be a 4.6 gradient required. You would now go into the AFM and see if this is what you could do on that particular day.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just got the call for a Sept. 8th CJ3 class in Orlando followed by a Sept. 29th indoc class. I was told that there was going to be 4 CJ3s and 4 Sovereigns. Anyone else get called?

First of all, Chasmo thanks for the response! It helped a lot.

In the freight world or "any other" type of flying jobs we ALL have to make the same types of decisions. i.e. wx, fuel, terrain, perfromance issues etc. In the 121 world we just have different ways of reaching the same conclusions.

If you think flying a state of the art (and usually overpowered) corporate business jet out of mountainous terrain is tough then maybe you should chat with some freight dog someday.

Try departing Bogota, Columbia or Quito, Ecquador at 0300L when you are dead tired, mountains everywhere, ********************ty controllers who speak very broken english and on top of all of that the customer has made barometric pressure corrections (add 435 lbs of freight for every millibar below 1013) so that we are right at the max takeoff weight for the elevation, temperature and altimeter setting for "every" takeoff.

Now that is flying!

First of all, Chasmo thanks for the response! It helped a lot.

If you think flying a state of the art (and usually overpowered) corporate business jet out of mountainous terrain is tough then maybe you should chat with some freight dog someday.

JB,

I read chasmo's response and no where did he say it was tough, he simply stated that the pilot is responsible for calculating said performance data and complying with the requirements.

No need for an attitude, you'll probably get more help without it. Just an idea.

Respectfully,

X

I was an IP there from '97-'00. One of the best assignments in my AF career! LOL

Cheers,
JD

Latest resources

Back