Citation X Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GVFlyer said:
The Citation X's were grounded for over a year, then sold. Cessna got involved. The chief pilot and the maintenance director left, the flight department was disbanded, the remaining pilots went to TAG.

GV

~

We both know there was a little more to it than that. There was a consultant involved and it was kinda ugly. It didn't have to end like that from what I heard.

Ace

HawkerF/O said:
Pseudo, slow your roll, smokin' Joe. Didn't know I needed time in the airplane to know what the fuel burn, DOCs, performance, and aquisition costs are. That info can be found anywhere. Are you from Kansas City? We probably know each other if you have worked out of MKC.

Easy there, HawkerF/O. I think what Psuedo was referring to is your reply of "Roger that!" to the concern that the Citation X has some sort of crosswind handicap that is unique to its' design--and that YOU would somehow know something about THIS handling characteristic.

Psuedo assumed you were trying to pontificate on that, not on fuel burn, DOCs or acquisition costs. If you haven't flown the X, you cannot answer an emphatic "Roger that!" Psuedo will call B.S. and so will I.

SCR

The Citation X is without a doubt a difficult airplane to land in a strong crosswind if you are a below average pilot. If you have average or better skills, its just another airplane. I personally haven't heard of a single ten being balled up because of adverse wind condiditions.

I'm sure with a little practice, even Hawker and Gulfstream pilots could master the X in a strong crosswind.

xrated said:
The Citation X is without a doubt a difficult airplane to land in a strong crosswind if you are a below average pilot. If you have average or better skills, its just another airplane. I personally haven't heard of a single ten being balled up because of adverse wind condiditions.

I'm sure with a little practice, even Hawker and Gulfstream pilots could master the X in a strong crosswind.

Who'd want to? I'm sure that's the normal career progression most pilots aspire to - move from a 91,500 lb Gulfstream G550 with a $200K+ salary to a 36,400 lb Citation with a tight cockpit and an average salary of $65,000.

In my view it's all a risk management process. The more radical the sweep on the wings, the easier it is to bump a wing tip. I like aircraft that are easy to fly. I've flown aircraft in the past where you could do something right now that was going to kill you in 20 seconds and the only option you had was to get out. I don't want to do that again.

Cessna has acknowledged the controlability issues with the Citation X and modified the flight control system to provide more roll control authority in the landing configuration.

GV

GVFlyer said:
Who'd want to? I'm sure that's the normal career progression most pilots aspire to - move from a 91,500 lb Gulfstream G550 with a $200K+ salary to a 36,400 lb Citation with a tight cockpit and an average salary of $65,000.
Ok, you need to hook me up with one of these $200k/year jobs... The last survey showed G-V/G-550 average Base Salary around $126,000/year, which, by any measure, is a far cry from $200,000+/year... I'm sure there are a few $200k/year jobs out there, but unfortunately, they aren't the norm...

Falcon Capt said:
Ok, you need to hook me up with one of these $200k/year jobs... The last survey showed G-V/G-550 average Base Salary around $126,000/year, which, by any measure, is a far cry from $200,000+/year... I'm sure there are a few $200k/year jobs out there, but unfortunately, they aren't the norm...
DITTO!!!!!!
I could use some of that $200k love as well. :cool:

GVFlyer said:
Cessna has acknowledged the controlability issues with the Citation X and modified the flight control system to provide more roll control authority in the landing configuration.

So what are you saying. Is the X now a safer aircraft because Cessna bungeed/regeared the flight controlls? Or is it still an accident waiting to happen? I agree, you had to be congnizant of the sweep in crosswinds, just as you have to be aware of the larger wingspan on the V on tight ramps. It's not that big a deal. It seems to me that most people who make a fuss about landing the X have never actually flown one?

It is a handful in a crosswind, but not that big of a deal. Sure it would be better if it handled better in a x-wind but still a good airplane. I know people who operate G-100's and the best they get is about 465KTAS. Even at 450 going to the east coast the X will settle in at 500-510 KTAS. i'm sure the 150 or 200 are similar to the 100. No way it will keep up. If I'm really high and pulled back a little to save gas doing 490 I have had real gulfstreams and falcons keep up or keep close. It is the fastest but not by much. Sells the CEO's though and thats what the real bottom line is.

Give me a nice comfy "slow" Falcon or Gulstream any time. You gotta love the way the Falcon fly's...it's nice and safe for us "old folk".

Latest resources

Back