Citation X Article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cgmason1

I was in the airport terminal waiting on a flight a few days ago and read an article in Flying Magazine on the Citation X--among other things it talked about the improvements Cessna is making to the X including more thrust and a higher max takeoff weight.
If anyone has access to the website for Flying Magazine please post the article. Thought I would mention it-there seems to be allot of avid Citation X fans on this site. I have even thought of bidding it myself--its a sweet airplane.

Fly Safe
Chuck

Citation X

There is a good article on the Citation X in the July issue of "Business and Commercial Aviation." It says that they increased MGTOW by 400lbs, have given it 5% more takeoff power to 8,000ft and have improved roll control.

It says, "highest cruise speeds are available in the mid- 30's, but fuel consumption increases by nearly 50 percent. Flying in the high 40's drops cruise speed by 25 to 35 knots, the cruise speed still nudges 500 knots."

There is also a review of a flight with factory pilots.

From what I remember the Flying Magazine writer had gone along for a flight and stated the Cit X is the fastest airplane-in the coast to coast(ie NY - LA)market---easily doing .90 to .92
FL 410 and higher. And could hold that all the way across the US. Now I am just going off my hazy recollection and I don't fly the X--but I do know they are making a fast airplane even faster.

If someone has access to flying magazine please post the article.

Thanks and Fly Safe
Chuck

The new aircraft (sn 175 and above) have the higher takeoff thrust, but this extra power is only realized while the throttles are in the takeoff detent. Operations in the takeoff detent are limited to only 5 minutes once the throttles are placed in the detent. Throttles may be placed in the takeoff detent while the anti ice is on as well. Climb performance in the older aircraft with the anti ice on is miserable especially if the temperature even thinks about going above standard. This is part of the reason they gave it extra power. It also helps with runway performance and second segment climb to a certain degree. You can definately tell a big difference in the short time you are allowed to operate in the takeoff mode.

It will go coast to coast (west to east) every day at max speed. At max gross weight once you level off it usually settles down at about .88 to .89 assuming standard temp. Within about an hour you are at .90 and then eventually .91. It will go coast to coast the other direction at max speed only if the winds are fairly light and you take it to FL430. If the winds are 80 to 100 knots I fly it at .84 and FL430 and it has never failed me making it to the west coast with ample reserves.

btw, I beleive the GV actually holds the la to ny official speed record. It was able to nudge out the citation X due to the ability to carry so much fuel that it could cruise at FL 290 to FL 350 where true airspeeds are highest. The citation X cannot cruise at those altitudes for that long at those speeds. Might as well say goodbye to a good day of profit sharing though.

GV Record Flight

The GV record flight was flown on 3 July 2000 from Teterboro to Van Nuys. It was flown at FL370 at .88 mach. Time for the flight was 4 hours 34 minutes breaking the pre-existing Citation X record by over 15 minutes.

Re: GV Record Flight

GVFlyer said:

The GV record flight was flown on 3 July 2000 from Teterboro to Van Nuys. It was flown at FL370 at .88 mach. Time for the flight was 4 hours 34 minutes breaking the pre-existing Citation X record by over 15 minutes.

HHhmmmm... isn't FL370 an EASTBOUND altitude?????

Latest resources

Back