• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Citation down in Milwaukee,

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do the Citations have break away controls like the commercial planes do so If the elevator jammed you could "disconnect" the Capt. yoke and fly with the FO/s yoke?

the patient got a new set of lungs today.

They talk about that in training all the time, if it's up you just bank 90 degrees til she falls level again, doing it over and over til you pull the breaker. Anyone ever had a elec trim nose down runaway, guess inverted might be the only way to control that.

Had the same thing happen to me last month in the Citation VII (no manual backup trim in that, only a secondary pitch trim system) but what happens (as it did with me) if it is a forward runaway pitch trip and not an aft runaway pitch trim? What then? You cannot "unload" the aircraft by banking 90 degrees with a forward runaway pitch trim Crobar. Lucky for me the secondary pitch trim system worked fine.

Don't know about the citation, but this has been a big issue for the CRJ. There is no manual backup on the CRJ and you are out of luck after you disconnect it but it should be controllable assuming you don't let it run to the stop. Extending flaps or opening the flight spoilers are remedies to relieve control pressure, but if the trim goes too far, and depending on your speed, etc., you're probably out of luck. I'm really surprised some of these airplanes don't have manual trim wheels for the pitch axis. Surely a money-saving design by the manufacturers.

I had a similar thing fappen to me in the Lear35, stuck my knee behind the yoke to keep the nose down till I could find the trim switch in the dark. Lucky that I'm 6'3" in a Lear

I guess the pilots reported it to the tower when they declared an emergency. I don't know how much you can rely on what the news says though.

Don't know about the citation, but this has been a big issue for the CRJ. There is no manual backup on the CRJ and you are out of luck after you disconnect it but it should be controllable assuming you don't let it run to the stop. Extending flaps or opening the flight spoilers are remedies to relieve control pressure, but if the trim goes too far, and depending on your speed, etc., you're probably out of luck. I'm really surprised some of these airplanes don't have manual trim wheels for the pitch axis. Surely a money-saving design by the manufacturers.

Pilatus doesn't have a manual trim either. This made me feel uncomfortable. No doubt a cost saving measure.

RIP

Ahh it was a C550. They all have a manual trim wheel next to the pilots right knee. It also has a BIG RED trim/AP Disconnect button on the yoke.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back