• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Citation 650 in-flight engine failure near Chicago???

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Posts
592
Total Time
>0
I was coming back to SLC from ORD yesterday afternoon on United and happened to be listening on channel 9. I heard 175DP say they had lost an engine and requested vectors to the nearest suitable airport. They eventually decided on Madison. As typical professional pilots, their voices didn't change one bit during the whole thing. You would've thought their pax just wanted to stop for some beer or something.

Way to work the problem guys. Hope it all worked out well.

Anybody know anything about this? It was about 1620 central time.
 

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Posts
592
Total Time
>0
=w= said:
It happens. Don't worry.
No worries, had plenty of my own IFE's.

Just curious.
 

magneticmd80

Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
13
Total Time
>5000
It Happens???? What? I apologize if I am missing something, but you are either arrogant or ignorant. Engine failures don't just happen, in fact they rarely happen. I sure would worry. I think any professional pilot would, that is why you would make an emergency landing. Doesn't mean you can't handle it with calm though. It appears they did just this in this instance. Again I apologize if you were being sarcastic, in fact I hope you were.
 

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Posts
3,512
Total Time
5000
magneticmd80 said:
It Happens???? What? I apologize if I am missing something, but you are either arrogant or ignorant. Engine failures don't just happen, in fact they rarely happen. I sure would worry. I think any professional pilot would, that is why you would make an emergency landing. Doesn't mean you can't handle it with calm though. It appears they did just this in this instance. Again I apologize if you were being sarcastic, in fact I hope you were.
rarely happen? I dont know about that. not very common? Sure, but they happen more than what most of us are willing to admit.
 

250 KIAS

Active member
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Posts
38
Total Time
1
They landed safely at MSN on runway 36. It was the return leg of a lifeguard flight from SDL to MKE.
 

=w=

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2005
Posts
72
Total Time
2700
Flying on Sunday I heard an AA jet land in MCI after it ate some birds on climbout. Later in the day another jet was having what he described as compressor stall problems. ?? I've had an engine grenade on me in a Cessna. It happens. That's what training is for.
 

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Posts
407
Total Time
.02
I remember my multi engine checkride, after shooting a single engine VOR approach I said to the examiner, "I sure hope I never have to do that in real life." He replied with a, "treat it as a procedure, because that is why you have more than one engine."
 

NoPax

NoPax NoMore
Joined
May 25, 2005
Posts
362
Total Time
5250
This year, I've had two, while flying with two IO-540 AE5B

An oil seal fold on me, resulting loss of oil pressure and a precautionary shut-down followed by a non-eventful visual approach, and then a seized throttle (fully open), which required a shut-down, followed by a non-precision approach to 300 above minimums. The seized-throttle was caused by 'debris', which happened to be a magneto blast tube fitting, getting stuck in the throttle assembly.

Both occured in cruise, and I've never had one 'grenade' on me.

Train like its going to happen at anytime. You have two engines, therefore twice the likelihood of an engine failure. Treating the training lightly may be your demise someday.
 

Koslen

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Posts
61
Total Time
8000
magneticmd80 said:
It Happens???? What? I apologize if I am missing something, but you are either arrogant or ignorant. Engine failures don't just happen, in fact they rarely happen. I sure would worry. I think any professional pilot would, that is why you would make an emergency landing. Doesn't mean you can't handle it with calm though. It appears they did just this in this instance. Again I apologize if you were being sarcastic, in fact I hope you were.
Chill out dude! He is right it does happen. I have had a dozen or so flame outs on the old cj-610's. Fairly common on those old lears and a couple of engines go south on me in the MU-2,a Navajo, and a couple on the 747. As long as it's not right when you rotate or your on fire it really is no big deal. If you fly long long enough you will come to realize engine failures/pre-cautionary shoutdowns do just happen. Often!;)
 

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
Joined
Jun 15, 2004
Posts
592
Total Time
>0
250 KIAS said:
They landed safely at MSN on runway 36. It was the return leg of a lifeguard flight from SDL to MKE.
Thx for the info 250.

Interesting discussion followed my initial question. The truth is I just wanted to know the outcome, even though I was reasonably certain it worked out fine. Even though it may be just 'part of the job' as a professional pilot to stay cool, it still is impressive in the same way that firefighters go into burning buildings without a second thought or police officers walk up to a car they just pulled over at night not knowing what they'll find. At the end of the day, all of those people will have a beer and say it was just part of the job.

That's the impressive part.
 

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Posts
3,512
Total Time
5000
Koslen said:
Chill out dude! He is right it does happen. I have had a dozen or so flame outs on the old cj-610's. Fairly common on those old lears and a couple of engines go south on me in the MU-2,a Navajo, and a couple on the 747. As long as it's not right when you rotate or your on fire it really is no big deal. If you fly long long enough you will come to realize engine failures/pre-cautionary shoutdowns do just happen. Often!;)

Engine go out on an MU-2 and you are still alive? Wow, according to others on this board I did not think this was possible.:beer:
 
Top