Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Citation 650 in-flight engine failure near Chicago???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

joe_pilot

There be whales here!
I was coming back to SLC from ORD yesterday afternoon on United and happened to be listening on channel 9. I heard 175DP say they had lost an engine and requested vectors to the nearest suitable airport. They eventually decided on Madison. As typical professional pilots, their voices didn't change one bit during the whole thing. You would've thought their pax just wanted to stop for some beer or something.

Way to work the problem guys. Hope it all worked out well.

Anybody know anything about this? It was about 1620 central time.

=w= said:
It happens. Don't worry.
No worries, had plenty of my own IFE's.

Just curious.

It Happens???? What? I apologize if I am missing something, but you are either arrogant or ignorant. Engine failures don't just happen, in fact they rarely happen. I sure would worry. I think any professional pilot would, that is why you would make an emergency landing. Doesn't mean you can't handle it with calm though. It appears they did just this in this instance. Again I apologize if you were being sarcastic, in fact I hope you were.

magneticmd80 said:
It Happens???? What? I apologize if I am missing something, but you are either arrogant or ignorant. Engine failures don't just happen, in fact they rarely happen. I sure would worry. I think any professional pilot would, that is why you would make an emergency landing. Doesn't mean you can't handle it with calm though. It appears they did just this in this instance. Again I apologize if you were being sarcastic, in fact I hope you were.
rarely happen? I dont know about that. not very common? Sure, but they happen more than what most of us are willing to admit.

They landed safely at MSN on runway 36. It was the return leg of a lifeguard flight from SDL to MKE.

Flying on Sunday I heard an AA jet land in MCI after it ate some birds on climbout. Later in the day another jet was having what he described as compressor stall problems. ?? I've had an engine grenade on me in a Cessna. It happens. That's what training is for.

I remember my multi engine checkride, after shooting a single engine VOR approach I said to the examiner, "I sure hope I never have to do that in real life." He replied with a, "treat it as a procedure, because that is why you have more than one engine."

This year, I've had two, while flying with two IO-540 AE5B

An oil seal fold on me, resulting loss of oil pressure and a precautionary shut-down followed by a non-eventful visual approach, and then a seized throttle (fully open), which required a shut-down, followed by a non-precision approach to 300 above minimums. The seized-throttle was caused by 'debris', which happened to be a magneto blast tube fitting, getting stuck in the throttle assembly.

Both occured in cruise, and I've never had one 'grenade' on me.

Train like its going to happen at anytime. You have two engines, therefore twice the likelihood of an engine failure. Treating the training lightly may be your demise someday.

magneticmd80 said:
Chill out dude! He is right it does happen. I have had a dozen or so flame outs on the old cj-610's. Fairly common on those old lears and a couple of engines go south on me in the MU-2,a Navajo, and a couple on the 747. As long as it's not right when you rotate or your on fire it really is no big deal. If you fly long long enough you will come to realize engine failures/pre-cautionary shoutdowns do just happen. Often!;)

Latest resources

Back