• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chronic sinusitis/to fly or not to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I suppose it depends on your situation. I used to have nasal/sinus problems every few months. Some instances were worse than others, but I wouldn't fly if I thought there was even a possibility I had a clogged sinus.

Consequently, I started using a product called Sinus Rinse by NeilMed. It's a saline solution that cleans out your nasal passages and available at any drug store. At first I used it twice a day (this probably still wouldn't hurt), and now I use it if I have been in a dusty environment or if have a little congestion (you're not supposed to use it with heavy congestion). I don't remember the last time I had a nasal/sinus problem.

DO NOT FLY....

I ended up having surgery on my sinus's a couple years ago after flying with sinus infections. You may not need the surgery, but if you keep flying while congested, you'll be in a world of hurt.

I second the Sinus rinse by NeilMed... Go to your local Wallgreens/CVS/Wallmart and pick up the adult size. Use it in the morning and before bed for a few days and see how you feel. I use it twice a day every day now...

I'll repeat what the other two posters said DO NOT FLY! And if you have not been to an ENT you might consider seeing one. Not sure how medical/personal leave or short term disabilty work. Hopefully someone who has gone through this can offer you some advice. Good Luck!

Chronic sinusitis/to fly or not to fly

Have you been tested for allergies?

Recently I did; the nurse pricked the skin of my back with a sharp object dipped in several allergens and when she came back after 20 minutes to see the results her response was something like: “holly crap!" Apparently I have severe allergies to pretty much everything yet all those years I just thought I had some sinus issues.

Anyways, I’m still trying to figure out how to arrange getting my allergy shots because for the first 12 months or so, I'll need 2 shots a week and with my schedule being 2 weeks on 2 weeks off I'm just not sure how I can pull that off - so in the mean time I got lots of allegra pills and extra strength nasal sprays. Check your allergies, they might be the culprit to your problems.

Allergies can contribute to sinus problems, sometimes the person's sinus cavities are not made for proper draining thus trapping allergens and causing general havoc.

See an ENT. All the sinus rinses in the world will do you no good if you have a polyp or other blockage of a sinus cavity that doesn't allow it to drain.

If sinus surgery is required, expect to be out of flying for about 2-3 months under the self-grounding regulation. Afterwards, you'll be able to fly without having to lug a second suitcase full of kleenex.

Medical prob = medical leave

I bought a neti pot at Whole Foods, and some sea-salt from the cooking aisle. It works great!

A little warm water and a small amount of the sea salt and you're good to go.

Latest resources

Back