• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chronic sinusitis/to fly or not to fly

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If sinus surgery is required, expect to be out of flying for about 2-3 months under the self-grounding regulation. Afterwards, you'll be able to fly without having to lug a second suitcase full of kleenex.

Medical prob = medical leave

Not true.... I had sinus surgery and was grounded less than 3 weeks. All the FAA requires is a note from your ENT or Flight doc that says you're completely healed, and they don't require the note until your next medical.

Glad to know it isn't just me who's been having sinus issues lately. I think it's mostly an allergy thing (pollen counts here have been super high lately), but it's gotten to the point where I have to pop a decongestant before I go fly or else I'll feel the squeeze during descent. Not so fun to have to depend on that. I saw an ENT last month, and he said that from what he could tell it was simply a pollen allergy. He prescribed me some Nasonex, but it doesn't work too well for keeping you clear while flying it seems.

I do like the idea of the sinus rinse thing, though. I'll have to give it a try. Anything to keep from having to pop a pill before I can do my job.

This thread is probably dead by now, but thanks for the tip on the sinus rinse stuff. Been using it a few days now, and I've stopped needing to take a decongestant before flying. Good stuff.

Still alive! lol

I went to walgreens looking for that stuff couldn't find it, what is it called?

Didn't see "Sinus Rinse" there...

Still alive! lol

I went to walgreens looking for that stuff couldn't find it, what is it called?

Didn't see "Sinus Rinse" there...

It's called NeilMed Sinus Rinse. It was in the Walgreens where I live, but barring that I think it's sold elsewhere too. It's in a big flashy box that advertises to everyone just what you're buying, too. :laugh:

It's called NeilMed Sinus Rinse. It was in the Walgreens where I live, but barring that I think it's sold elsewhere too. It's in a big flashy box that advertises to everyone just what you're buying, too. :laugh:

I'll check it again, thanks a lot, hope it helps.

My doctor wants me to take allergy shots as apparently I have severe allergies to pretty much everything and then some... The problem is I have to get two shots a week for the first 6 months and they cannot be spread out more than that because I have to "gradually increase my resistance."

Well, with a week on week off schedule I just don't know how I can do that?

Anyone else with a similar problem?

I though about giving the shots to myself but someone needs to "watch me" in case I have a reaction to the shots... So, I'm in limbo...

I know exactly what you are dealing with. I have always had very bad allergies as well as moderate asthma since childhood. About a year or so things got really bad and went to see an ENT. I Was diagnosed with severe sinusitis, severe rhinitis, as well as nasal polyps. As you can imagine flying 18-20 leg four day trips was becoming very problematic. After trying just about every "faa approved" nasal spray on the market my doctor said that surgery was my only option. I was on med leave for about 2.5 months following surgery to make sure things healed properly and not to rush back although I probably could have come back sooner.

I'm approx 7 months post op and my problem is that when I am not flying I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. I can finally breath through my nose which was something I had not been able to do in 15+ years. For some reason though flying is still giving me issues, nothing like it was before I had surgery but after the 3-4 leg it never fails that I start having sinus problems either clogged up or a runny nose. Usually by the 2/3rd day my ears start to plug up and flying becomes less and less enjoyable.

I'm at a loss for what I should do next, I have been back to my ENT and he told me he can see the polyps starting to grow back. Nothing like they were before I had surgery, but the fact that after only 7 months with continuous Flonase use they are already making a comeback is not good.

I'm not sure what I should do next, I feel like the smartest thing to do would be get out of flying all together before I get any older and it's to late to start over in another field. I just turned 30 and with my sinus/asthma problems as well as family history of these conditions getting worse with age I'm honestly not sure if I could even hold a medical until I'm 60/65. I have a four year degree but would like to stay in aviation, possibly dispatch.

Anyone ever had a similar situation? Any suggestions?

I know exactly what you are dealing with. I have always had very bad allergies as well as moderate asthma since childhood. About a year or so things got really bad and went to see an ENT. I Was diagnosed with severe sinusitis, severe rhinitis, as well as nasal polyps. As you can imagine flying 18-20 leg four day trips was becoming very problematic. After trying just about every "faa approved" nasal spray on the market my doctor said that surgery was my only option. I was on med leave for about 2.5 months following surgery to make sure things healed properly and not to rush back although I probably could have come back sooner.

I'm approx 7 months post op and my problem is that when I am not flying I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. I can finally breath through my nose which was something I had not been able to do in 15+ years. For some reason though flying is still giving me issues, nothing like it was before I had surgery but after the 3-4 leg it never fails that I start having sinus problems either clogged up or a runny nose. Usually by the 2/3rd day my ears start to plug up and flying becomes less and less enjoyable.

I'm at a loss for what I should do next, I have been back to my ENT and he told me he can see the polyps starting to grow back. Nothing like they were before I had surgery, but the fact that after only 7 months with continuous Flonase use they are already making a comeback is not good.

I'm not sure what I should do next, I feel like the smartest thing to do would be get out of flying all together before I get any older and it's to late to start over in another field. I just turned 30 and with my sinus/asthma problems as well as family history of these conditions getting worse with age I'm honestly not sure if I could even hold a medical until I'm 60/65. I have a four year degree but would like to stay in aviation, possibly dispatch.

Anyone ever had a similar situation? Any suggestions?

It's the airliner environment. Seriously. My health is much better now that I am flying corporate. Have you tried taking Naproxin Sodium or some other anti-inflammatory? That may help open up the sinuses a bit.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back