• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CHQ Hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think what he means is that CHQ increasing hiring by getting new and larger aircraft means they are screwing DAL, UAL,US Air and others. Spin it any way you like it but it's true. Nothing more than outsourcing to a cheaper labor source. We should all hope the regionals stop getting larger aircraft or there will be no career to work towards for those of us at a regional. Hoping for anything else is short sighted and plain stupid unless of course you enjoy flying large aircraft for 50 seat rates the rest of your life. Flame away.

fsworld said:
I think he ment majors. As in the people over at Skywest, etc. According to the DOT we are major airlines! And here all this time ive been telling people I work for a regional airline. I think ill still tell them that though, it looks better than saying I work for a major airline!

The ego's at the regionals is amazing. While you my fly for a "major" by DOT definition, the things that REALLY matter, pay, retirement, QOL are definately still regional and always will be.

commuterpuke said:
The ego's at the regionals is amazing. While you my fly for a "major" by DOT definition, the things that REALLY matter, pay, retirement, QOL are definately still regional and always will be.

Amen! I don't know if it's ego but if nothing else it's a bunch of riddle grad newbie RJ pilots or the like chest thumping trying to impress people by saying "I'm an airline pilot!"

TNPILOT said:
I think what he means is that CHQ increasing hiring by getting new and larger aircraft means they are screwing DAL, UAL,US Air and others. Spin it any way you like it but it's true. Nothing more than outsourcing to a cheaper labor source. We should all hope the regionals stop getting larger aircraft or there will be no career to work towards for those of us at a regional. Hoping for anything else is short sighted and plain stupid unless of course you enjoy flying large aircraft for 50 seat rates the rest of your life. Flame away.

Couldn't agree more. It's easy to get excited about new aircraft, but in the end we are slowly morphing into majors with much worse pay and work rules. I think anything above 50 seats should go to the majors. I hope all our "new" aircraft are 50 seaters. Gayjets suuuux.

Unfortunately for us all trying to get to a major or just a 6 figure $$$salary, we might be waiting a while. We are all pawns in a game of Big Business that management is playing. Who can make the most money. Pilots seem to want to blame other pilots for the industry turning upside down & inside out. That is just not the case. We do 1 thing, fly airplanes.

To keep some sort of sanity we unfortunately must just go with the flow and expect change. Lets face it if we all did not love to fly we would put up with half of the crap we have to deal with. I have been flying since the late 80's. During the 90's you needed 3000hrs total time, 1000 muti & 500 turbine with your ATP to be considered for an interview with Eagle, Chautauqua, or Business Express. Not to mention you had to pay $10,000 for training. Not many Companies were hiring back then either.

I look back now and if I were 21 or 22 and had 1000TT and a company said they were going to pay me $20,000/yr to fly a jet I would have jumped at the chance to skip the whole Flight instructor Charter pilot rout. Not to mention live at home with Mom & Dad. Great way to get some experience and not have too many bills or commitments. Agreed there are allot of pompous immature egotistical kids flying in the cockpits today who need a little brush of reality and a wake-up call that their are allot of people who can do the same thing they can do and probably better.

As far as Hiring at The "Republic Airways Holdings" family, Blackpilot628 is correct, 2000 pilots by the end of 2006. I have heard rumors about 3-4000 pilots total by 2007-8 once all the 170/75's get on-line. Should we get 190's who knows. All speculation at this point.

Good-luck to all who apply.

Happy Landings to all

Last edited:
commuterpuke said:

What QOL? What retirement? What pay? Wake up my friend, ALL those things are going if not gone at ALL the majors. I'm not for regionals getting larger planes, but the majors(legacy) carriers created this problem and mainline pilots went along with it. Now everyone is paying the price.

Here's a first from a pilot:

I am the problem with the industry. I took my legacy-furloughed kiester and accepted a position at CHQ. Okay, so maybe I'm not the problem, but the overall supply/demand equation for airline pilots is not in our favor. A desireable career has become attainable to loads of people and the resulting market will determine what the pay rates/benefits will be. Unions can slow the work of the market and demand that those in management do what they said they would do even when it's no longer convenient, but even that has limits based on how severe the crisis is at the specific company.

Eventually, the market will settle on what a pilot is worth. We are free to take our talented selves to other industries that may reward our skill sets better. Until some of us do or there is a massive increase in demand for pilots we will continue to struggle to win gains in all the areas posted about previously.

The very first time management came to a legacy pilot group and said "we'd like to sell tickets on airplanes not flown by you, but you'll get..." and the group bit was a huge turning point. We put our hope in scope and allowed inter-airline competition for flying and ever since it has been a battle to keep flying from shifting to regionals/code shares. Scope has failed.

W8N

That might be the best post I have ever read regarding the industry.

W8N4UAL is dead-on. You took the words right out of my mouth.

I am furloughed from another regional currently at the RJET joint myself.

Very nice post.

Latest resources

Back