CHQ E190's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
E170Guppykiller said:
OBTW, I chose this screen name in jest. The E-170/190 is a guppy killer. I wish it wasn't so, but it is. If you can't make fun or our sorry situation by having a cynical screen name then you would go crazy realizing that you are stuck at a regional for the rest of your life more than likely. I had the dream (like most of you did) of working for UAL and flying the 747-400 around the world when I started flying, now I realize that I will probably retire from CHQ.

BTW, what is a guppy? I have been flying for 15 years and have never heard of a guppy. If a whale is a 747, would a guppy be a B1900?

E170Guppykiller said:
Don't even go there! Comair took flying that WAS and still SHOULD be Delta mainlines years ago! They started this whole mess, not CHQ.
Comair is owned by Delta. They are parts of the same company. Delta decided they wanted RJ's on those routes, so they made them into Comair flights. Comair wasn't standing in line like a hooker on a Vegas street corner trying to outbid mainline for them. The comparison you are making here is like apples to coconuts.

Last edited:
miles otoole said:
BTW, what is a guppy? I have been flying for 15 years and have never heard of a guppy. If a whale is a 747, would a guppy be a B1900?

You obviously don't get around much, the 737 is know universally as the guppy. and the new E jets are true guppy killers at mainline.

SkyBoy1981 said:
Comair is owned by Delta. They are parts of the same company. Delta decided they wanted RJ's on those routes, so they made them into Comair flights. Comair wasn't standing in line trying to outbid mainline for them. The comparison you are making here is like apples to coconuts.

Using that analogy, when I graduated from DCA, I should have gone straight to Delta then.

E170Guppykiller said:
Using that analogy, when I graduated from DCA, I should have gone straight to Delta then.
Oh, you're one of those DCA types. Well that explains everything then. I'm wasting my time here...you already know everything. Enjoy your "big cool" jet, maybe you'll get those loans paid off before you die. :rolleyes:

Fresh off the press:
E170GuppyKiller=Rhoid

You really do need to find a new hobby, bud.

E170Guppykiller said:
Face reality people. Most of us are stuck at the regionals for our entire career now. Some people (surplus 1) by choice, others (me, you) not by choice, but the fact remains, we are regional lifers now. With that being said, I want to fly the biggest, baddest, coolest machine around. The 190 will be at the regional level and I'd rather fly it than see it go to Mesa or some other scumbag operator.

CHQ is MESA with a different name.

Remember all this mud slinging towards CHQ is a bit premature. The flying for 90 seaters (if that's what U want, personally I think it is), is going to be put out to bid. CHQ are posed in a better position (if you want to call it that), in that their pay rates and thus operating costs will be low. Let's not forget others out there like MESA, kings of the undercut also might get it, so may others.

A sad fact is that passengers want to fly from A to B for less and less and mainline structures are not geared to that cost wise. The slide of this industry will be mainline going from hub to hub, coast to coast and international. "Regionals" will be filling in the gaps with what are now mainline short/medium haul aircraft (37's, 318/19's etc) because the econonmics (and passengers) dictate so, and as long as some one will pay less and less, (even by starting a new company to have substandard first year pay all round) they will get the flying.

US airlines are still struggling but take a look at airlines from around the world they are making large amounts of money consistantly and charging fares that reflect the true cost of doing business and they still fly close to capacity.

Latest resources

Back