Chicago runway too slick at Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy said:
ROTFLMAO! You are equating a tailwind at LAX (2 mile long runway) with a tailwind on a snow covered runway at MDW?
Buy some common sense, pal. I guess that I need to remember my audience ... a few people who hold up a USA Today 'analysis' as gospel, yet decry the initial NTSB report (with more than enough information) as unfounded rumors. You guys continue to crack me up.

Hook, line, and sinker bro. Do you follow FARs and company rules to the tee, or don't you? You said you did not waiver.... ever. I think you answered differently.

Now that we got that clear - STFU!

Gup

GuppyWN said:
Hook, line, and sinker bro. Do you follow FARs and company rules to the tee, or don't you? You said you did not waiver.... ever. I think you answered differently.

Now that we got that clear - STFU!

Gup

"Reported" is the operative word here. Knowing what we all know about how the wheels of the system are greased from time to time, just because it's "legal" doesn't always make it smart. The distinction between LA and Midway in the context of an iffy tailwind report is a valid one. The accident crew put themselves in a situation where everything had to go their way, and it didn't.

1BigRodeo said:
By the way, when was the last time any of you reran numbers inside the marker for winds when your supposed to be monitoring an approach???

Reran? How about briefing the limit before you get there so when you hear ** at ** it sounds just like "go around?"

Last edited:
a Perfect Storm :(

Slug for SWAPA President!

SWA/FO said:
a Perfect Storm

Another term I've heard used in the industry is "a causal chain."

Just for clarification..... I don't consider anything past the reverse highspeed on 24L to be usable runway. :D

Gup

------------------------
Why did the mishap crew choose to land immediately after a company aircraft made a divert decision? No face shot, this is new information to me and it does raise a valid question.
------------------------

One airplane might weight thousands of pounds more or less than another resulting in much different calcualtions and therefore decisions.

I guess this explains why they decided to use autobrakes when they weren't approved by the company. Lucy, you gots lots of splainin to do....

Mach 80 said:
------------------------
Why did the mishap crew choose to land immediately after a company aircraft made a divert decision? No face shot, this is new information to me and it does raise a valid question.
------------------------

One airplane might weight thousands of pounds more or less than another resulting in much different calcualtions and therefore decisions.

or BILLIONS...............

Latest resources

Back