• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chicago runway too slick at Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well what may be good braking for one pilot may be poor for the next guy 1 minute behind him. The other day ATC asks us for a braking action report, well we didn't really know what to tell him as it was my leg and as usual I make a stellar landing at as slow a speed I can safely accomplish, get on the reversers to the max allowed as soon as possible, and in addition, our best turnoff was near the end of the runway and therefore used hardly any braking. Well the captain says tell him it was good, I disagreed but didn't argue and told ATC it was good which I think could have been very misleading to the next guy who may have landed faster and had trouble getting into reverse and had to get on the brakes hard. This is why I think the pilot report method has it's fatal flaws so to speak.

Draginass said:
All the more reason to shut Midway down.
Just because pay for training brought the industry down, it's no reason to take it out on an airport.

FN, What happened to the Clinton pay for training quote? Since is not there anymore then I take it back. Andy now that was stupid. You got FN beat by a mile. Is not even close. UBA757

Unfortunately, the Captain is probably still in hot water.

Certainly the use of autobrakes was smart, but it was against SOP and still questions as to the delay in using reverse.

I hope it turns out well for both!

StopNTSing said:
But...wait...this doesn't support the "Southwest Pilots Are All A Bunch Of Reckless Cowboys" template...AT ALL??

...guess that's why the usual suspects haven't piled-on to this thread yet? :rolleyes:

You tell us: Short runway....low vis....9 knot tailwind....7 inches of fresh snow....very late deployment of thrust reversers.

There...I'm asking. Enlighten me about the decision process involved here.

Hvy said:
Enlighten me about the decision process involved here.

Great, another Kernel.:rolleyes:

It'll hit the fan when it comes out that tower reported 9 knots of tailwind when there was in fact a bit more. My speculation, but I'm guessing that when they run the landing distance numbers with the braking action observed by the mishap team and with the winds from the meter, they will find out that the calculated distance is longer than the runway available.

I'm very interested in the missing 18 seconds from the reversers, but think that the delay is due to a mechanical/icing/interlock problem, not that the captain was 'really slow.'

I also think the captain can argue that he used hit authority to arm the auto-brakes, since using them, coupled with max manual after touchdown, would lead to the shortest rollout.

Latest resources

Back