Chicago Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apdsm

Anyone know if Chicago Express has plans to upgrade to regionals or are they staying with SAABs?

My understanding is that the new baggage weights are killing their Saabs...really grim during Summer. They're apparently looking at Q400's. (Big planes...they're not sure where they're going to park them!) The conventional wisdom is that jets just wouldn't be economical on their route structure.

They do have a kick-butt scope agreement with ATA, though: Windy City can fly anything as long as it's made with fewer seats than the smallest airplane the mainline flies.

Nobody knows really what they are looking at now. ATA is getting very tight with the finances. The weights are also killing us. We are now autorizing flights to 31 but it is not uncommon to see a plane to leave with 29 and rumor is that the FAA are going to raise the weights again.

What happened with the rumoured Saab 2000's, did it go by the wayside?

othing has been said about new aircraft since ATA renegotiated their bonds. In my opinion I would not expect anything soon.

Saab 2000 is a dead deal, wont happen. CRJ or ERJ, well midway is restricted for weight and performance reasons during the summer months with full loads due to runway length, and 70 seat RJs just cant see that happening. WE have no room to park them at midway and money issues i would guess is another thing. So to answer your question I beleive there will be no new aircraft here for a very long time if ever! I hope im wrong every day but every day with ATA it seems like that.
Anthony

Sorry to say so but I agree with Antney. With ATA's current financial situation I dont see anything new coming to Chicago Express unfortunately.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back