• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

checking Blackberry during taxi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The first item on our engine start checklist is "cell phones OFF". No worries about calls or emails on short final.

I'm gonna add that to a checklist I'm writing up for an operator right now...I like that idea to have it on the actual checklist. Even if a Joe Cool pilot doesn't abide by it and something happens while he's taxiing, he can't blame it on anyone but himself. And add another charge or FAA "gotcha" to the list...not abiding by a checklist properly.....lol

Gonna add it right now.

Before start check item - Cell/bberry OFF.

I had a FS instructor tell a story that when he was in the sim he had two pilots get a message on their pagers while on short final, out of habit they both looked down at message and flew it staight in to the ground. Obvioulsy just training, but something to think about.

Our SOP is phones off prior to engine start

I think it's a shame that it has to be put on ANY checklist...

Times change and everything must change along with it. Cell phones have become such a human necessity its scary. An incident/accident WILL happen due to a pilot messing around with a cell phone, its just a matter of when. Car, bus and/or train accidents happen every day because of them.

Yeah all common sense goes right out the window once the lawyers begin suing everything and everyone in sight

Is it any different from check the ACARS message while taxing out?
You know the one that says you have a drug test after landing at your next destination, and now you will miss your commute home.

Latest resources

Back