Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
Maybe I am anal but a few of our guys will get an inbound message on the BB, it will chirp in their holster, and they will grab it and check email while we are taxing out. They will admittedly put it right back, but it still raises my eyebrows.

anybody else encounter this?

Maybe I am anal but a few of our guys will get an inbound message on the BB, it will chirp in their holster, and they will grab it and check email while we are taxing out. They will admittedly put it right back, but it still raises my eyebrows.

Don't understand your question.

Are you asking if we've ever witnessed the other pilot pull their cell phone out and check a message while taxiing?

Guess it all depends on the situation. We all have fumbled with stuff while taxiing, I d@mn near got into a full blown fist fight with a foot long turkey club sub while attempting to taxi out at Burbank not to long ago...

That is why I turn my BB off when the door closes, I avoid the temptation that way. After the door closes they can call the flight phone if they need us. Now, if we were frax or charter...then if might be before take off :)

I thought the Blackberry was a poor mans GPWS. I actually had a bozo answer his cell while I was on short final doing the River Visual 19 at DCA.

I think its just a Pavlov response when it goes off.

blackberry

We used to have guys check their beepers on downwind or short vectors, totally forget about where they were and what we were doing, Pain in the behind.

Boys,

The NTSB and others who study airplane accidents and incidents feel quite certain that the greatest risk for hull loss is runway incursion based events. That is why we all should identify the risk and place maximum barriers in place to trap/capture a mistake which might lead to said runway incursion.

Brief the taxi route.. inbound and out.
Both pilots have a chart "in view" both directions.
Pilot taxing shall read back to the pilot on the radio any "hold short" or "crossing" clearance, thereby re-enforcing a "hold short".
Light up the plane while crossing in night/low visibility enviornments.
Pilot not taxing shall suspend all activities as the airplane approaches an intersecting runway.
Both pilots will visually clear the runway approach as they cross.
and on and on and on.

I could identify a dozen less obvious barriers we can hoist to insure that the most likely threat to our well-being... a runway incursion.. is minimized.

Read the USA Today at cruise or run to the head without the other guy on O2...fine... but manage those high risk moments actively.

BB's are to be turned off before engine start..imho. Pay attention on the ground.

caseyd

phone usage

This is common sense. We have enough distractions without adding a BB to the mix. No phone usage with the engines running unless it is an emergency. And then only with the airplane stopped with parking brake on. I was with a captain once who was taxiing and talking on the phone at the same time. It was nothing important, just chatting with a family member. We have a tiller so you can imagine my surprise. Not safe!:eek:

The first item on our engine start checklist is "cell phones OFF". No worries about calls or emails on short final.

I hate it when I'm on level 15 on "Brick Breaker" and the guy next to me keeps hounding me to put the gear up! But seriously, I hate it when you forget to turn it off, and then on short final all your e-mails start coming in (mine is always on vibrate).

Latest resources

Back