Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyFlyFly

Registered Offender
I know this has been flogged about already, but jeesh, where does the mindset come from?

No tips to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Whines about passengers NOT tipping?!?!?

Finishes his dinner and mine (if your not going to eat that...)

"I hear we get a free shirt for buying fuel"

Holds his hand out whenever I break out the trail mix.

Never, ever, ever does anything one would consider generous.

Acts surprised that I can fly the plane (I am typed in it).

And the guy wonders why he is still flying light jet 135 with over 10K hours. I do not think he has a clue of how others percieve him. When I am not in his presence and completely annoyed, I feel sorry for him.

In no way am I saying the that captain is right but one thing that used to piss me off when I was doing 135 light jets was when we (the crew) would fly the same passengers around for days. We would work our butts off for these guys and then we would get home and we would unload all their luggage and give it to the linemen to put into the cars and the linemen would get big tips and we would get nothing.

Oh well, thats life.

How about:

Sneeking into the hotel kitchen and taking their cereal (used for breakfast) to your room to hoard and eat for dinner.

Taking 2 pocketfulls of mints from the resteraunt where all you got was a side salad and a water + no tip.

Yelling at the FBO for not having their popcorn made by the time you get there.

Complaining about not getting tipped for loading bags and then explaining to the line service guy that his tip is included in the fuel price....."now hurry up and clean that windscreen!"

When the airplane goes to a servce center.....Volunteer for the trip so you can harass them everyday about giving you free shirts, caps, luggage, leather jackets, etc.

Wondering why the line guy avoids you when every time you have a demand you refer to him as "hey boss!! I need you to _____ ."

I could go on but why? you get the point. The sad thing is that they get reimbursed for tips while on the road.

It stinks dude, but whatcha gonna do?

Last edited:
gear_guy said:
The sad thing is that they get reimbursed for tips while on the road.
People like that probably lie on their expense report which would also include fake tipping that they expense and then pocket.

rumpletumbler said:
People like that probably lie on their expense report which would also include fake tipping that they expense and then pocket.
YA THINK!!

Speaking of lineman, for some reason pilots look down on them as if they work as a street cleaner or something. Lineman perform a service that if it weren't for them, corporate pilots would be fueling themselves. Imagine self service available for jets with a discount, companies would jump on it in a heartbeat, if it saved them a nickle per gallon. Be happy you can tell the lineman your fuel order and you don't have to do it your self. If a lineman gets a tip for unloading luggage, it's because he earned it.

Lineman have to put up with the constant whining of pilots who constantly appear with bad attitudes. Pilots have a bad day for whatever reason and take it out on a lineman who had nothing to do with your bad day. I worked for a week as a lineman and I left after taking a better paying job driving tractor trailers. As a flight instructor, I'm very close to the line crew at my airport and I know that you would never want to be treated as they are treated. These guys work in all kinds of weather, and have to deal with people who don't respect them for what they do.

Lets say you are a fortune 100 company who owns a jet, you know the value. Lineman are responsible for pulling out and putting away your multi million dollar piece of equipment. I don't know about you but I don't want to think about yelling at this guy and have him pulling the jet from a hanger. He could "accidently" hit the hanger on the way out and put your AOG for who knows how long and at a huge cost.

In closing, you as a pilot are responsible for a multi- million dollar aircraft. a lineman is also resonsible for multiple, multi- million dollar aircraft, cut them some slack, they deserve it.

Last edited:
Sorry...I didnt mean anything by it, I was kidding. This topic tends to fire me up since I started as a lineman. I think it would help if every pilot had to pump gas at their local FBO for a week before taking a job. I know it won't happen, but I think it helped me.

Taking the hotel toilet paper home. If it was short trip, meaning a light suitcase, he would call the front desk and ask for more TP, then take it home too.

Latest resources

Back