Cheapskate Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
So, on the flip side, what about those flight attendants who go along for food and drinks with the absolute expectation that the flight crew will pay for their share, who won't even make a pretense of reaching for their purses, let alone actually buy a round? Yeah, there's no F/a on my plane, but I know enough guys who fly passengers to have heard the stories. Seems to me they are just as contemptible as captains who try to stiff the crew.
I don't think I ever flew with an FA in all my years that did not reach for their money. No matter who it is, Captain, FO, FA, you should never expect anyone to pay for what you eat and/or drink. There were plenty of times when new hire FA's would not want to go out with the crew because they weren't making much, and I would pay for their share.

I saw something interesting happen the other day in the grocery store. A man had forgotten his wallet and went out to get it in the car. The man behind him asked the cashier if the man had forgotten his wallet. Cashier confirmed it. The man, without hesitation said, "I will pay for his groceries." He proceeded to pay for the man's food, even though the guy had just forgotten his wallet.

When the man came back in with his wallet, the cashier told him that the other man had paid for it. He was stunned and very touched by the kindness. I thought he was going to cry. The man who paid did not wait around for thanks. He just left. I thought it was very cool!

Kathy

Roger that

AA--Understood. Yeah, it's tacky for sure to expect the capt. to pick up the tab.

Once, at my last day of work, the Asst Chief Pilot invited me out for beers as a kind of 'goin' away' thing. He also called several crewmembers who were in town at the time.

All of us put away a few pitchers of beer and the Asst CP also ordered some appetizers and a few of us bought an entree.

When we cleared out the Asst CP plucked down his credit card and I reached for my wallet. Of course he protested to say he invited me out. But I insisted and offered $50. I sort of *expected* the others to chip in too...but no. They didn't. And the Asst CP picked up the balance.

I thought that was kinda tacky too.

Oh well, stories like Resume Writer's give me hope regardless.

And just to be clear, I never doubted for a second you wouldn't keep your crew well watered.

:cool:

I guess I have flown with too many cheapskate F/A in the past. I am now to the point that I wait to see what they are gonna do before I even reach for my wallet. I have been burnt several times buy saying I will pick up a round and next thing I know is that I am buying really expensive drinks and appetisers.
Too many of them try to take advantge of a situiation and some come to expect it. So they call me cheap, big deal. I kinda am. Then again when I was an F/E most of the F/A made more than i did.

Latest resources

Back