• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Many moons ago, I flew with a guy at UAX that used to go up to the just arriving UAL flights and ask the lead F/A if they had any of the First Class food left over. Man that was REAL embarrassing.

That was some funny S$#%..and so true.

Great read. Remember, its not being cheap, its being financially smart!!! haha

Glad I was never THAT guy. Never saved a dollar of per diem. Life is too short to be like that. I always said if you count on your per diem as part of your salary, you've got bigger problems than the low paying job you have. It really is no wonder the bar keeps getting lowered.

I bought a new Dodge Dakota Quad cab in 2000. The loan was for only 3 years, with a big monthly payment.

I did the math and figured out that by bringing soda off the airplane for meal breaks and 2 at night for the overnight where I would eat takeout food only when practical I would save $1000/yr. This was two months of my truck payments!

I paid it off in 2 years.

I used to think of the exchange in Caddyshack between Danny Noonan and that Wop.

"I ain't payin' 50 cents for no Coke!"

"Then you ain't gettn' no Coke!"\

$2 x 3 x 200 days of work = $1200 year

I knew a guy who would have a bundle of fast food coupons always in his wallet. After handing it over to the cashier, when possible he would reach over and yank it back as the girl usually just left it on the ledge of the counter. If she said something (so petty they dont usually bother) he'd try and smile making a joke out of it.

Same guy also used to switch the tags on clothes. He would go to a discount clothing store like MArshalls, TJMax, Centruy21, etc. where they get a lot of the surplus from full-scale stores like Ralph Lauren.

He would purchase these leftovers (usually oversized, ugly and obviously didnt sell well) from the discount store and take them home. Afterwards, he'd go to Ralph Lauren and remove the tags from say a rugby with a very high price. This was done in the dressing room. He then went home after collecting a stack of tags and use his tagging gun and retag the cheaper rugby. He would then take the cheap rugby with the expensive tag and return it to Ralph Lauren and reeceive a store credit. He wouldthen take this store credit and purchase things from them.

After accumulating all of these new expensive items, he'd go and sell them on Ebay.

I know it sounds like a lot of trouble and it certainly is, but he seemed to be making a business out of it.

BTW, he is a little on the eccentric side, if you hadnt figured out that laready. funny thing is, he's kinda wealthjy and his folks are milllionaires.

Last edited:
Heard this one the other day. A Capt. @ XYZ had four bald tires on his car, so he goes to Budget rents his exact car for $49 bucks-goes and switches his tires for the rentals- Now he has a brand new set of stickers, thus saving a couple of hundred bucks. Could be urban legend, but cheap urban legend nonetheless.

Latest resources

Back