• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap ATP rating???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did something similar and went to a D.E. named John Trask in Presque Isle, ME. Its not in the southeast, but fairly easy to get to.

Presque Isle is certainly not in the southeast! Might want to warn everyone about exactly where it is. Presque Isle, Maine, Canada. When you see polar bears playing hockey and "Moose Crossing" signs everywhere you'll know you've arrived. I can't believe there's actually a DE there. Did he drive his snowmobile to the airport to do the checkride?

All said and done, it cost me about $1200 including hotel, cab, food, and everything else you might think of.

By "everything else you might think of", you mean the thermal underwear, sweater, overcoat, ski mask, electric gloves, and snow goggles, right?

In all seriousness, how did it work with no training flights? Where you very current on the plane or was he a "reasonable" examiner? I'd almost be interested in going back up there, just so when I left I could be glad I never had to go there again.

Presque Isle is certainly not in the southeast! Might want to warn everyone about exactly where it is. Presque Isle, Maine, Canada.
By "everything else you might think of", you mean the thermal underwear, sweater, overcoat, ski mask, electric gloves, and snow goggles, right?
In all seriousness, how did it work with no training flights? Where you very current on the plane or was he a "reasonable" examiner? I'd almost be interested in going back up there, just so when I left I could be glad I never had to go there again.
WARNING: Presque Isle is way closer to the Arctic Circle than the tropics. Traveling in 3 out of the 4 cardinal directions will take you into Canada.

I did go during the week of summer that they get. As for the price, I mean plane, examiner fee, cab to the hotel from the airport (he picked my up the following morning), breakfast, the works.

Yeah, Presque Isle is a little off the beaten path. I non-reved to Boston and jumpseated up on Colgan (thanks for the ride guys). As for the plane, he mailed me a run down of relevent information (suggested power settings, airspeeds, and limitations) ahead of time. I had about 0 hours in a Seneca prior to the check ride. I was flying the CRJ at the time and made an effort to hand fly as much as I could for about 2 weeks prior to the checkride. The plane does take a little adjusting to, but it is doable. He is also a reasonable examiner, provided you are reasonable as well. He is very experienced and has all the "been there, done that" Tshirts. Don't show up completely unprepared and expect a gimme ride. He will be able to tell quickly.

I'm most worried about getting the engines started and fighting the urge to flare at 50 feet.
....cab to the hotel.....

Lemme guess, the Northeastland? (I think there's maybe 2 hotels in Presque Isle so I have a 50-50 chance of getting it right.)

I'm most worried about getting the engines started and fighting the urge to flare at 50 feet.
He gave me a little help with the first. For the second, I took a few minutes to sit in the plane and look out over the nose, to help adjust my mental picture. I did end up keeping a little power in and feeling my way down from about 20 feet. Its his personal plane, so he won't let you bend it.

To tell the truth, I don't remember the hotel name. It was recommended to me and it was a small, independent place. Pretty basic, but friendly.

I used to instruct a Sheble Aviation in Kingman, AZ and trained ALOT of ATP students. Show up day 1 at 10 am and be done with your check ride by 10 am on day 2. Its like $1800 which includes the examiner fee. If you jumpseat into LAS, and take the free shuttle to HND, somebody can pick you up there and fly you to IGM for your training for free. Go to www.shebleaviation.com to get the contact info. Ask for Val and tell her I told you to call.

Word on going to Shebles

Latest resources

Back