Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

frapper

:confused:

Alright, so here's the deal... I've been stuck at ASA for 5 1/2 years now. If for some reason I am able to upgrade before the mandatory retirement age, I'll probably sit reserve for a good two years. I have several prospects to go to better paying, decent flying jobs, but I need my ATP prior. I've been sitting on this golden egg for WAY too long now, and I think I may just bite the bullet and buy the rating somewhere.

I already have the ATP written completed, but of course I did it over 5 yrs ago when I thought I would upgrade here.

So two questions... do I need to retake the written since I'm not getting the rating at the 121 carrier I worked for when I took it? Also, where's a cheap flight school to get the rating? Preferably somewhere in the Southeastern US...

Thanks in advance!

Bad news is yes, you will have to retake the written. You can only use an expired written if you're going through a 121 carrier upgrade program.

Now a question for you. Would you be going to a job in a plane that requires a type rating? Because if so, you can do the ATP along with the type at flightsafety or simuflight, wherever you go.

Why

Why is upgrade taking so long? Though pilots would be flying the coup at ASA with Skywest putting you threw the meat grinder...

Why is upgrade taking so long? Though pilots would be flying the coup at ASA with Skywest putting you threw the meat grinder...

The majority of pilots leaving ASA seem to be junior FOs who don't have much to lose by bailing out.

As an FO coming up on 5 years at ASA I'm in the same boat as frapper. I rode the JS on Delta recently and the crew assumed I was a Captain when I told them how long I've been at ASA. They were very surprised that I couldn't at least hold Captain. That, along with their discussions about about retirement account balances and $800+ a day fishing trips made for a depressing ride.

Also, where's a cheap flight school to get the rating? Preferably somewhere in the Southeastern US...

A friend of mine just did his ATP up at Cobb County McCollum (sp?) and I believe it ended up costing somewhere around $1500-$1700. AllATPs only offers the 10 hour ATP course in ATL so you'd have to go to Birmingham to do their "quicky" course. You'll also have to fly to Birmingham for your checkride if you do the 10 hour in ATL.

I did mine at the Comair Aceademy in SFB. You'll get a Delta discount since you're ASA....$140 or so per hour instead of $175 or so. You'll do two flights, both one day and the checkride the next or 1 flight one day and the 2nd the next along with the checkride....assuming availbilty of A/C of course. All said and done with was around $1,600 plus Hotel/Food/Rental car. I stayed at the Holiday Inn near by for $60 ( I think) and rented the smallest car I could for cheap....with a Delta disoount too. Several eating places around the Holiday Inn as well. Easiest certificate I ever did, that's for sure.

No, you will not have to retake your written. It's very sketchy how the reg is written, but I just trained an ASA FO for his ATP in a BE-76. The examiner did not require him to retake his written, as long as he could prove he was currently employed by a part 121 carrier. The guy I trained was very sharp, it was really quite easy. The airplane is at McCollum, RYY, in northwest atlanta.

This is very do-able. The examiner that we used was very straight forward.

3, maybe 4 flights in the Duchess, then the checkride in Chattanooga. We can get it done for cheaper than allatps.

PM me, I'll be happy to give details.

Latest resources

Back