• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap ATP rating???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just trained an ASA FO for his ATP in a BE-76. The examiner did not require him to retake his written, as long as he could prove he was currently employed by a part 121 carrier. The guy I trained was very sharp, it was really quite easy. The airplane is at McCollum, RYY, in northwest atlanta.

This is very do-able. The examiner that we used was very straight forward.

3, maybe 4 flights in the Duchess, then the checkride in Chattanooga. We can get it done for cheaper than allatps.

I'm pretty sure you and I are talking about the same guy but you comment about him being "very sharp" does make me wonder.

That includes the Examiner fee?

Yup....maybe even less. It was around 6 hours flight time, including with the examiner, plus $400-450 for his fee. I think the plane was around $140/hr? $140 x 6 + $450 = $1,290. It's been around a year or so since I did mine, so the exact numbers are a little sketchy. But the ones I just posted are conservative. I can't remember the DE's name right off, which I should be able too. He's very popular in the Central Florida area and everyone pretty much knows who he is....which is why I'm puzzled I can't remember his name right now. You'll get in touch with him and he'll set the whole thing up...he'll have you in and out in no time.

I used to instruct a Sheble Aviation in Kingman, AZ and trained ALOT of ATP students. Show up day 1 at 10 am and be done with your check ride by 10 am on day 2. Its like $1800 which includes the examiner fee. If you jumpseat into LAS, and take the free shuttle to HND, somebody can pick you up there and fly you to IGM for your training for free. Go to www.shebleaviation.com to get the contact info. Ask for Val and tell her I told you to call.

I just thought of the the DE's name in Florida. I won't post it here, but if you would like to have his name and website address, PM me and I will be happy to give it to you. I highly recommend him along with a certain instructor, if he's still there.

Last edited:
:confused:

Alright, so here's the deal... I've been stuck at ASA for 5 1/2 years now. If for some reason I am able to upgrade before the mandatory retirement age, I'll probably sit reserve for a good two years. I have several prospects to go to better paying, decent flying jobs, but I need my ATP prior. I've been sitting on this golden egg for WAY too long now, and I think I may just bite the bullet and buy the rating somewhere.

I already have the ATP written completed, but of course I did it over 5 yrs ago when I thought I would upgrade here.

So two questions... do I need to retake the written since I'm not getting the rating at the 121 carrier I worked for when I took it? Also, where's a cheap flight school to get the rating? Preferably somewhere in the Southeastern US...

Thanks in advance!

Damn!...That's whack

There is an endorsement any APD at your company can put on your written test score that will extend it through your practical test. Not a problem.

I did something similar and went to a D.E. named John Trask in Presque Isle, ME. Its not in the southeast, but fairly easy to get to. No warm up flights, just jump into the Seneca and go. If you fly up the night before, you can be done by noon the following day. I brought a proof of employment letter to show I was currently employed by a 121 carrier. All said and done, it cost me about $1200 including hotel, cab, food, and everything else you might think of. It was very straight forward checkride. No tricks, no BS.

I was in the same boat. 5 years at ASA. I took my ATP written again after 6 years, and paid $1295 + $300 examiner at arlington, TX for my ATP. I am know at the fracs and have no regrets. I get more free food than I can eat, keep the hotel + airline points, and fly new equipment. ASA quickly became not worth the effort!
Good luck in your decision.

Latest resources

Back