Chautauqua questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GFunk20 said:
I.P. what are you talking about man? Mesa doesn't pay higher.

Chautauqua

Year 1 $22
Year 2 $29
Year 3 $33
Year 4 $34

Mesa

Year 1 $21
Year 2 $28
Year 3 $31
Year 4 $33

Quoted right from your www.airlinepilotpay.com.

So the difference is one dollar an hour. You guys really raised the bar. What a bunch of idiots...Are you not embarrsed to post that?

I'm by no means an expert but yes the name "Chautauqua" has Indian roots. I believe it was a tribe(not 100% sure) that had origins in what we now know as Chautauqua County in Western New York state - CHQ Airlines was formed in 1973 as an Allegheny Commuter in Jamestown NY which is in Chautauqua County hence the name.

CL

AFELLOWAVIATOR said:
So the difference is one dollar an hour. You guys really raised the bar. What a bunch of idiots...Are you not embarrsed to post that?
Give it up man. What's done is done. You know it's real funny how the people who have such a problem with Chautauqua's contract are the ones who DON'T work there.

CL600Pilot said:
I'm by no means an expert but yes the name "Chautauqua" has Indian roots.
Yep. There was (and to some small extent, may still be) a Chautauqua tribe. It's also a county, a town, a lake, a river, another town and county in Kansas, and the name given to a cultural gathering in the Great Plains states that has taken place more or less yearly since the mid 19th century. The word itself is a contraction of a Seneca Indian word meaning "where the fish was taken out"

Oh, and it's an airline, too.

Algonquin word that does not translate literally to english, but means, in essence: "request direct"

:D

Actually it is an Algonquin word for "meeting" as in a meeting of tribal leaders. The actual context of the meeting, as meant in the language is that of an informal chat such as you and me arranging to meet (have a chautauqua) at Moe's for a beer and bull session.

The white man glorified and exaggerated the word to mean a meeting of the tribal leaders to discuss items of great import, but to the originators of the word it was not a big deal.

It is also rumored that it translates literally to "bag tied in the middle." which is what Lake Chautauqua (just south of JHW) actually looks like.

Take your pick.

Axel said:
Actually it is an Algonquin word for "meeting" as in a meeting of tribal leaders. The actual context of the meeting, as meant in the language is that of an informal chat such as you and me arranging to meet (have a chautauqua) at Moe's for a beer and bull session.

The white man glorified and exaggerated the word to mean a meeting of the tribal leaders to discuss items of great import, but to the originators of the word it was not a big deal.

It is also rumored that it translates literally to "bag tied in the middle." which is what Lake Chautauqua (just south of JHW) actually looks like.

Take your pick.
I thought it was Seneca for "get bashed on internet", but there ya go.

Sounds like even learned sources can't agree on what the word means. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back