Chautauqua Pool

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
English,

You're quite right, SA could possibly get jets. However, I'm inclined to believe (and hope) that those jets wil go to Chautauqua because of the latest agreement between U management and and U ALPA allowing up to 315 RJ's. Although I must say that I don't think anything has been finalized in regards to that agreement, I am of the opinion that if/when this agreement, U will have to go the companies who can get jets up and flying ASAP i.e. the contract carriers because they already have the firm orders that I posted previously. Also, the contract carriers have training departments that are able to handle training pilots RJ's right away as opposed to having to get up to speed. Also, CHQ has RJ pilot's in training right now, so they've already got their wheels spinning with regards to dealing with training. Just my thoughts, and my opinions and guesses are as good or bad as anyone else's right now.

Aceshigh

Isn't Shuttle America also a contract carrier?

About the Wex RJ options: Wexford leases aircraft to other companies (SK- Solitair Korporation, is also on Skyway).It's doesn't necessarily mean that because it has options for more EMB they'll go to CHQ...they can go all over the globe. I really don't think there will be any more jets going to STL with all that mess that's going on with Eagle.
I know that CHQ is always looking at other possible codeshares, so who knows what'll happen.
As far as j4j, it looks like it'll be turned down...what to make out of it it's up to the individual (i guess some FOs will have to wait for the upgrade).

PEACE

aceshigh said:
English,

You're quite right, SA could possibly get jets. However, I'm inclined to believe (and hope) that those jets wil go to Chautauqua because of the latest agreement between U management and and U ALPA allowing up to 315 RJ's. Although I must say that I don't think anything has been finalized in regards to that agreement, I am of the opinion that if/when this agreement, Aceshigh

The 315 figure is only a counter proposal from ALPA to Airways management in response to the concessions Airways Management has asked for. No aggreements have been reached.

Guam360
Nobody here really likes the idea of J4J so I would be really surprised if any mainline pilots will be flying for us unless its through normal hiring.
As for a new hire class whenever it happens, I think its kind of a shame that there will be 300 hour hotshots straight out of Lafayette in the hiring pool while guys with thousands of hours and years of service are walking the streets. Just doesn't seem right.

Well I do feel bad for everyone else out there on the street, there's a little of people who have paid their dues and unfortunately no longer have a job. But if you were in my shoes or any of the other "hotshots from Lafayette" you would definitely take that opportunity and I'm sure everybody else out there would too. Looks like there will be some new hire classes really soon, and I feel very lucky and fortunate to have the opportunity to possibly be in one.

hotshots from lafayette

Too bad for you Corbon, the airlines hire these "hotshots from Lafayette" for a reason. They KNOW jets and have been flying for 4 years with a discipline thats been related to military flying. Better yet (or worse yet for you) during checkrides, they regularly outfly those 2000 hour pilots who are wandering the streets.
Rumor has it other airlines are starting to catch on to Purdue's potential and are looking at taking some of their 700 hour jet pilots over a 3000 hour CFI. Those kids coming out of Purdue have 4 years of flying experience. While you were in your piper at 3000 feet, they were in class learning about flying a 727 at 39000 feet. If you add up all the time spent in class studying aviation to several degrees beyond John CFI's knowledge, you'd come up with 2040 hours...not including actual flying time or the 120 hours of 727 sim time. Some say sim isn't the same as flying the real thing, and its not...how many times have you had a complete electrical failure at 29000 feet? Happens every other flight in between the dual engine fires and emergency descents for Purdue grads.
But you're right, they don't have the experience of everything going swell in the airplane or know which page of the USA Today the crossword puzzle is on. They'll learn that in IOE.

Better yet, you know the best thing about these inexperienced 300 hour PU guys. And I don't mean to isolate that school, it's just that they are the topic here. When it comes time to vote on a new TA (Tenative Agreement - because they don't teach you that in school), most of those @$$es sell us out and vote for stuff that should be obviously thrown back in mgmts face. You can pay them one peanut butter and jelly sandwich per hour and those whores would still fly a jet thinking after 1000 hours they'll be getting a job at United.

For everyone young one out there reading this, ask yourself if you are willing to strike with the other guys when our contract negotiating comes to a head, which it will believe me. If you won't strike, do us a favor and don't sell us out by coming here we don't need anymore of that mentality.

Bottom line: everyone better wake up. The only growth is at the regionals. You can feed a family on PB&J sandwiches but you can't put a roof over their head with it!

I say hire the guy that has more than just aviation experience. maybe flipped a few burgers or bagged a few groceries or more. This might allow him to see his real value in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Sounds like somebody got caught up in all the union revelry and forgot about reality. Take a step back and approach the whole pilot union issue from a third person point of view. How is it justified that we make up to $350,000 a year while teachers make less than a quarter of that? And we don't even need a college education!

If a young pilot from Purdue would rather fly for pb&j than sit on the ground and bitch about how much he is (or isn't) getting paid, then I'd say he's a true pilot. If you have to be paid more than any other pilot, well then you've priced yourself right out of the market and, unfortunately when pilots do that they bring the rest of the airline crashing down around them (Eastern, Braniff, TWA, US Airways). Of course we never think about the other 55 employees per every pilot at an airline. Why do we pilots, who represent an average of 1.8% of an airline's workforce, go on strike while we're receiving 30% of the payroll?

Sounds like those Purdue grads who didn't learn about Tentative Agreements in school learned an awful lot about economics, and they know not to demand more money just because their friends at another airline get paid more.

If you think flipping burgers makes you more qualified at flying airplanes, then
United should start ab-initio with McDonalds. Perhaps then they'd be able to turn a profit.

Grow up.

Too bad for you Corbon, the airlines hire these "hotshots from Lafayette" for a reason.
Yeah, because the company can pay them FO pay for years before they upgrade, get the PIC jet time, and move on, which saves them a ton on training costs. Chautauqua gets the most bang for their buck since they know the PU folks won't be going anywhere for long time.

They KNOW jets and have been flying for 4 years with a discipline thats been related to military flying. Better yet (or worse yet for you) during checkrides, they regularly outfly those 2000 hour pilots who are wandering the streets.

Is that printed in the PU recruitment brochures or do you just tell each other that at graduation? Do you guys have "Purdue University Super Pilot" stamped onto your Commercial ticket or does it look just like mine?

Rumor has it other airlines are starting to catch on to Purdue's potential and are looking at taking some of their 700 hour jet pilots over a 3000 hour CFI. Those kids coming out of Purdue have 4 years of flying experience. While you were in your piper at 3000 feet, they were in class learning about flying a 727 at 39000 feet.

And you wonder why so many people tend to resent Purdue grads? It's the "holier than thou" attitude you have so arrogantly expressed. And by the way, that is 4 years of strictly supervised flight experience for the most part starting from 0 hours. The decisions are already made for you as to what the conditions are in which you can fly. And you must be using the term "jet pilot" very loosely because, unless policy has changed, only a select few get to fly the Beechjet.

If you add up all the time spent in class studying aviation to several degrees beyond John CFI's knowledge, you'd come up with 2040 hours...not including actual flying time or the 120 hours of 727 sim time. Some say sim isn't the same as flying the real thing, and its not...how many times have you had a complete electrical failure at 29000 feet? Happens every other flight in between the dual engine fires and emergency descents for Purdue grads.
Well, outside of the standard stuff Flightsafety throws at me in the 145 sim, none. But then again, I don't have the luxury of using the phrase "this is how we do it in the 72..." to impress my captains.
My previous post wasn't against Purdue or the origional poster, but more against the bridge program that gives preferential hiring to relatively low time pilots who haven't experienced many aspects of aviation. Sure, I wish them the best of luck and am not questioning their knowledge or piloting ability but I firmly believe that they should have to graduate, find flying jobs that test their dedication, build their hours, so, as FlyGuy757 mentioned, they can appreciate moving upward in the aviation pipeline. It would be great to have a 121 jet job lined up after college and I don't blame anyone for taking it if offered.
I actually transferred out of the flight program at Purdue because I hated the attitude and went on to get my ratings on the side, working on the ramps, instructed a ton, got promoted to flying part 91 ops and built up some jet and turbine time, then got hired by CHQ. And I guarantee you I learned more doing that then I could have in 4 years at any university and I wouldn't trade those experiences, the good or the bad, for the world.
You'd probably think it would be a tragedy if Purdue grads were out on the street while pilots with thousands of hours have jobs.
Seems like you're the only one here who feels the need to justify themselves.

PUFlight, good luck. Looks like with the addition of Delta Connection, we'll be hiring soon.

Latest resources

Back