Chartering a flight and accepting tips?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JDREsquire1224

Is it feasible for a pilot to pick up a chartered flight in open time and then accept a tip? For instance, if the University of Southern California chartered a flight, they would undoubtedly want to tip the pilot because they pay everyone, including college football recruits. I was wondering if accepting a tip is bad practice?

Just invert your hat, seed it with a fiver, and set it on the galley shelf. Then post a hand written sign on the cockpit door "tips greatly appreciated". Seems you see that everywhere you go these days.

I guess that is why all ASA pilots wear their hats on charters.

I think a general rule on accepting tips is say no once, if they insist, take it. Otherwise it's an insult.

The only exception would be places like Publix grocery store where it was corporate policy not to take any tips.

I think a general rule on accepting tips is say no once, if they insist, take it. Otherwise it's an insult.

The only exception would be places like Publix grocery store where it was corporate policy not to take any tips.

No No No....

You say:

"Thanks! It was a pleasure having you aboard! Got any more?"

LOL! Wow! This is good advice to hear, I might look to pick up a trip chartering USC. I bet Pete Carroll would offer me like a $500 tip just for nice rotation on takeoff! Surely as my experience goes up, price would go up. Maybe I could even hire a street agent from somewhere like New Era?

Your tip is all the goodies they leave behind. You just have fight off the rampers if it ends in ATL. A good FA will have you all set up with a empty leg home.

Is it feasible for a pilot to pick up a chartered flight in open time and then accept a tip? For instance, if the University of Southern California chartered a flight, they would undoubtedly want to tip the pilot because they pay everyone, including college football recruits. I was wondering if accepting a tip is bad practice?

You're going to get USCtrojan all worked up now.

Latest resources

Back