• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Champion (F/E) or Amerijet (F/O)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the info Scube. The rumor at Champion and it was mentioned in the interview that the Airbus is coming. Also, I friend of mine knows a guy who is an Airbus sim instructor who was called by Champion for a job training in the near future. Champion's leases are coming up on some of their 727's so considering the operating cost versuses the bus, it makes financial sense. Besides, the aircraft they are looking at aren't new from Airbus, so they maybe able to work some favorable lease rates. According to Champion though, they will keep a handful of 72's around for the NBA contract since the teams like the 72 better.

I'm in training at Champion now and I have a few friends that have been here a long time. First of all, take what you read on here, always, with a grain of salt. Everyone's perception of the same company is different. Champion isn't the Garden of Eden, but it's certainly not the worst place on the face of the earth either. As for the A320 deal, don't bank on that happening any time soon. The CEO came to class last week and basically said that we won't be getting them in the near future. We need a block of 10+ serial order aircraft before we purchase. Needless to say, those criteria are non-existant right now, in this market. Champion is a good place to work if you need a flying job at this point. Really nothing more, nothing less.

Champion getting Airbuses... seriously, anybody know how long that rumor has been going on? Like Workin' Stiff said, don't count on it in your lifetime. Besides if they did, 72's are three pilot crew, Airbus is two... which means you and the rest of the bottem third get the boot. Be careful what you wish for. My point is that if you go to Champion expecting new Airbuses, you're gonna be dissapointed. Your attitude will make a huge difference in your QOL.

Your right. To be honest a chance to fly the 727 is more appealing seeing as they are becoming a rare species. The more important thing, I believe, is that at least it is talk in the right direction ie growth and expansion. I worked in the industry when the only rumors were not if there are going to be furloughs, but how many. It's nice to see that there is a glimmer of hope and growth on the horizon for Champion. As far as the attitude part, you are absolutley correct! Also, perspective. If you could fly one week for the place I am at now, just about any 121 operator would be a god-send.
Thanks for the replies.

growth and positive attitude????

HA! When I was in ground school at my current company the DO came down to give us the "pep chat" and said that with the way the company is growing, that we'd all be captains within 7-8 months! 3.8years later........I am still kicking myself for not betting against it, when everything in me said, YEAH RIGHT!....it was just that at the training pay......i couldnt afford to bet lol!

point is.....even when companies are hiring with a new hire school in session......trust me......they can still shut down and furlough just like that!

B737Dvr said:
HA! When I was in ground school at my current company the DO came down to give us the "pep chat" and said that with the way the company is growing, that we'd all be captains within 7-8 months! 3.8years later........I am still kicking myself for not betting against it, when everything in me said, YEAH RIGHT!....it was just that at the training pay......i couldnt afford to bet lol!

point is.....even when companies are hiring with a new hire school in session......trust me......they can still shut down and furlough just like that!

While you've got a point, (obviously the airlines are anything but predictable these days) I think Cody at least has his head in the right place.

Cody, I am in a place not that dissimilar from yours... furloughed from a regional, now humpin' freight in a ratty piston twin. So I know where you're coming from. My attitude is that being furloughed is the best thing that could have happened to me. I have a lot of (better than regional airline) potential at places I would have never looked had I not been furloughed. There is one huge negative about Champion that you can't get away from; they are controlled by NWA. Life has been much better for me since I have been out from their little finger. Keep your options open, and think outside the box. Maybe you will find something outside the airline industry that will be refreshing too.

I felt the same way when I was furloughed. I was so sick of the gloom and doom of the airlines. After spending about a year and half outside, I missed the structure, sop, and the operating system of the airlines. It's the grass is always greener syndrome maybe, but I am still considering the fractionals and even independent corporate work. My next new thread maybe Champion vs Flexjet! A buddy of mine at Flex claims they will be calling in July for an interview, but who knows. It really helps to have the opinions and info of pilots on this sight to play the devils advocate or provoke ideas and considerations I have missed, so thanks a lot for the replies. To sum up the way I am approaching the Champion endevor is cautious optomism. I have to go into this with a positive mind set while at the same time be grounded in the reality of the industry I choose to work in. Any other way, and I think I would make myself miserable. Bottom line, I love aviation, truly, and despite the moving, furloughs, and other bs, I can't seem to tear myself away from this industry. Punching through an overcast layer on a cold winters morn, skimming the top of the cloud deck as the sun peaks over the horizon, warm cup of coffee in hand, fresh USA Today by myside; nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!

Even if CHAMPION does qet A320 theyll furlough the senior 727 guy and hire a current A320 guy. Stay away from 121 supp

But Champion is ALPA. They couldn't do that even if they wanted to. Besides, like some of the Champion guys were saying it will be quite a while before the A320's come onto the property if they do, so I would hopefully have a little seniority before any significant number of them appear.

Latest resources

Back