Challenger Door Loss in Flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400A

I just saw a flash on the news that a Challenger had the main cabin door come off in flight. They said it departed somewhere in Colorado. The pictured aircraft on the ramp in fact had no door. Anyone heard anything?

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=88716

GRAND JUNCTION (AP) - Aviation officials say the main passenger door fell off a twin-jet business plane as it was taking off from Grand Junction Regional Airport, but no one was hurt.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Mike Fergus says the door tumbled from the Bombardier Challenger CL-60 shortly after 5 p.m. on Monday.

He didn't know how high the plane was. It returned to the airport and landed safely.

Fergus says the cause isn't known. FAA investigators are expected at the airport Tuesday.

Fergus did not know how many people were on the plane, but it can seat about 20 passengers.

The plane's registered owner is WFP Investments of Snowmass Village. No one answered the company's phone after business hours Monday.

N213TS

From what I've heard, it's a (former?) Aero Toy Store airplane. The door's been recovered just northwest of the airport.

The door left the aircraft and damaged the opposite side of the fuselage with possible engine ingestion of debris. Obviously when it left the plane the airflow sucked it around the other side damaging some metal. Very interesting. Good job on the crew, not a crazy complicated emergency but still.

Were there any pax on board?

looks like a cl600 maybe it had one of those original doors that fedex had on the plane that opened up instead of down

hmmmm don't see a any probe right under cockpit window and the tail though not shown looks like it is tapered into the rudder not elongated .......... but anyway i figured maybe door not closed amd got swung up by the slipstream

hmmmm don't see a any probe right under cockpit window and the tail though not shown looks like it is tapered into the rudder not elongated .......... but anyway i figured maybe door not closed amd got swung up by the slipstream

I do not know anything about all of that, but I do know the 600 does not have GE engines on it. Evident by the visible tail-cone.

Latest resources

Back