Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LegacyDriver said:
Man that's so weird......

The CRJ is a REGIONAL JET (tm) based on a CORPORATE jet. Now that same REGIONAL jet is being use to create a new CORPORATE jet. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The pile of poo from the chicken... and it's called the CRJ (speaking strictly from a passenger comfort view)

flyin4pennies said:
Anybody know how hard it would be to convert a CRJ into an 850?
Was just in KCKB dropping my airplane at Bombardier and saw about 15-20 Indy RJ's sitting.

I would be a little more than skeptical buying an aircraft whose previous life was for a regional. I know there are several B727/737's out there that do it but do you really want an RJ with 10,000 hours and cycles? How much is going to be spent on paint/interior/SB status. I highly doubt any maitenance has been maintained while parked on the ramp in IAD.

Falcon Capt said:
The Challenger 850 is a CRJ-200 that is fancied up... It has nothing to do with the Global Express... Range is 2,250 NM...

Here are the specs... http://www.bombardier.com/en/3_0/3_2/popup/BBA_850fs.pdf

ahhh, that makes more sense...2250 miles is about time the 1st crossword is done, its time to stretch, and check on the status of some fresh java!

2000flyer said:
I would be a little more than skeptical buying an aircraft whose previous life was for a regional. I know there are several B727/737's out there that do it but do you really want an RJ with 10,000 hours and cycles? How much is going to be spent on paint/interior/SB status. I highly doubt any maitenance has been maintained while parked on the ramp in IAD.

Yeah,
Just came from Bombardier WVa center an hour ago and they told me that 85% of the Indy RJ's failed their engine inspections. A lot of bent/missing turbine blades and other signs of over usage. Results of excessive cycles. Not worth the $$.

The 850, 870, and 890 are marketed as corporate shuttle versions of the CRJ200, 700, and 900, and I suspect the represent decent value as they capitilize on the larger production runs of the airline airframes. And, for those that aren't familiar, the 870 and 890 benifit from fairly major systems improvements from the 850 (slats, FADEC, CF34-8's instead of -3's, hyd reversers vs pneumatic, maintainability items, etc etc.)

I currenty fly the CRJ, but if anyone needs a corporate shuttle pilot, I'd drop this stupid airline "career" like a bad habit!

Turbo

There are several companies that own CRJs as corporate shuttles, the largest being GAP clothing out in CMH.

The 850/970/890 are the same as the CRJ versions of the plane with different interior mods. Bombardier has made modifications to the interiors to allow a corporate shuttle version with 50 seats, or all business class, or split seating (first class in club config up front, then coach or business seating in the rear). I have also seen spec sheets for air ambulance/mobile hospital concepts, as well as a corporate/challenger 604 type interior.

One huge advantage the 800 series has is the number of pilots that are type rated an current in the model since it's a common type with its CRJ siblings.

Flyerjosh said:
There are several companies that own CRJs as corporate shuttles, the largest being GAP clothing out in CMH.

It's actually Limited Brands out of CMH. They have two CRJ's but are slimming the shuttle fleet down to one.

Flying Illini said:
It's actually Limited Brands out of CMH. They have two CRJ's but are slimming the shuttle fleet down to one.

Oops. Yeah, that's what I meant... Knew it was one of those. I hear an added benefit is that the shuttle occasionally flies some of the models around. Nice!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back