Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
I am about to start my CFI and am looking to finish it no more than a month from today. I was wondering if yall had any tips or know of any good resources I should use to help prepare for the checkride, thanks.

almerick

if you're looking for it to take a month, study you butt off....now.

focus on what is required of the examiner to test you on (endorsements & the like) then concentrate on your weak areas (class E airspace, regs, are whatever)

The flying is the easy part.

My biggest suggestion is to study study study.

Good news, the program manager of my 141 school gave the ok to do my training part 61. Looking to save some money since 141 requires 25 flying hours. Any books in particular or computer programs that may help me prepare of the oral....besides the ASA yellow book, airplane flying handbook and the gleims?

From an earlier post of mine on Airman (cut and pasted)

My suggestion is to read from cover to cover the FAA's "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge," "Instrument Flying Handbook" and the "Aviation Instructor Handbook." All three are great sources of information and stuff that WILL be asked during your oral. The better prepared you are, the quicker and easier your time there will be, especially if you intend on getting out of there on schedule.

Definitely know the FOI stuff inside and out. YOU WILL be asked everything from that reference material. Agreeably, the book seems like a lot to digest, but a helpful resource guide to understanding this material in a more concise way would be to supplement it with Gleim’s “Flight Instructor Flight Manual.”

You might also want to go through the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook."

DONT FORGET PART 61!!!

The one thing applicants are really shakey on is part 61. If you read this part from page one to the end about three times, and truely disect it...it will really help out....

...read what everyone else said, the flying is the easiest....remember on this checkride you need to convey to the examiner that you can TEACH SOMEONE TO FLY TO PTS...not necessarily fly maneuvers.

95% of your time should be spent STUDYING...the other 5% flying

ALSO...if you make lesson plans, TEACH THEM before you use them, EVERY LESSON TEACH TO A CFI, and then be critiqued (not just evaluated)

NYCPilot said:
From an earlier post of mine on Airman (cut and pasted)

My suggestion is to read from cover to cover the FAA's "Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge," "Instrument Flying Handbook" and the "Aviation Instructor Handbook." All three are great sources of information and stuff that WILL be asked during your oral. The better prepared you are, the quicker and easier your time there will be, especially if you intend on getting out of there on schedule.

Definitely know the FOI stuff inside and out. YOU WILL be asked everything from that reference material. Agreeably, the book seems like a lot to digest, but a helpful resource guide to understanding this material in a more concise way would be to supplement it with Gleim’s “Flight Instructor Flight Manual.”

You might also want to go through the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook."

Definatly read all the books put out by the FAA

Make up lesson plans from the sources I mentioned above for everything covered in the PTS. This way, as you type away, you're learning the maneuvers and instruments, etc.

Almerick07 said:
Any books in particular or computer programs that may help me prepare of the oral....besides the ASA yellow book, airplane flying handbook and the gleims?

Like some of the other guys have said the Aviation Instructor Handbook is a pretty good reference to have (it contains the FOI stuff.) I found the CFI Manevuers Manual from Gliem to be pretty helpful.

The one suggestion that I would make would be not to put such a strict time limitation on yourself. The CFI, like many things in flying, takes however long it takes--either you are ready or you aren't. Don't assume unnecessary pressure. You'll have enough as it is. Freaking because you aren't done "in time" will only shortchange the learning process. I know whereof I speak.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back