• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI renewel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the FSDO's are starting to change their minds on that. They used to do it under a "personal knowledge" provision. But ffom what I have seen in the past 3 years (2 different FSDO's) they seem to shy away from it. I think the word got out for us to get recurrent training rather than going the free route.

Hung Start said:
I think the FSDO's are starting to change their minds on that. They used to do it under a "personal knowledge" provision. But ffom what I have seen in the past 3 years (2 different FSDO's) they seem to shy away from it. I think the word got out for us to get recurrent training rather than going the free route.

Really it was from April 2000 when the form 8710 was updated. I called the Regrestry in OKC to ask about the form change and the "Personal Knowledge" CFI renewal box was missing.

The people reviewing the form noticed a CFI could be renewed by Inspector "Personal Knowledge" of the applicant. There was no guidance (policy or regulation) to allow the "Personal Knowledge" part, or the guidance was changed long ago and the form was not updated with the guidance. So the "Personal Knowledge" box was deleted from the form so that avenue for renewal went away.

JAFI

I did the Jepp Online program (via AOPA ASF) in December, while I was attending recurrent. Just at night in the hotel and one day when there was nothing else going on. Even managed to study for recurrent, too. The course could have been better, but was okay.

I think it was about ninety bucks or so...but less than two weeks after I sent the paperwork to Jepp, I had the temp and a grad certificate in hand, no extra fees. No visit to the FSDO while on the road, no hassle. It can't get much more simple than that.

What happens if you fail the written exams?

Unbelievable!!!

Pardon my directness, but some people here are such idiots!!! It's one of the main reasons I haven't looked at this board for over a year. I came back to take a look, and it hasn't changed. I mean no disrespect to the many here that know what they're talking about, but jeez, the stupidity is almost overwhelming.

What was the post from Labbats about the CFI written exams about? WHAT WRITTEN EXAMS??? And what about what Hung Start and JAFI said about the 'Personal Knowledge' business? NONESENSE! That has nothing to do with it.

For all the so called professional CFI's out there reading this post, I have a little advise. There is a book, published by the FAA called the FAR/AIM. You should have a look, it's really quite enlightening. In fact, it contains many of the answers to questions we all ponder...

I'll give you all a hint, FAR 61.197 states...well, just read it. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Well,, old wise on. Enlighten me if you would. What did I say that was nonsense?
Not sure of your age or experiance, but back a few years you COULD easily get your CFI renewed by any inspector based on his/her personal knowledge of you. Did it a few times myself. It was even a block on the 8710. Opps,, I think that form number has changed! My, how the FAA has modified things over the years.
Sorry, sonny, my alzheimer's must be kicking in again.
If you're such a wonderful teacher of knowledge, how about teaching something? Isn't there something in the FOI's about "negative" reinforcement?
Or am I so old that they changed that section too?

Hung

CFIPilot said:
Pardon my directness, but some people here are such idiots!!! It's one of the main reasons I haven't looked at this board for over a year. I came back to take a look, and it hasn't changed. I mean no disrespect to the many here that know what they're talking about, but jeez, the stupidity is almost overwhelming.

What was the post from Labbats about the CFI written exams about? WHAT WRITTEN EXAMS??? And what about what Hung Start and JAFI said about the 'Personal Knowledge' business? NONESENSE! That has nothing to do with it.

For all the so called professional CFI's out there reading this post, I have a little advise. There is a book, published by the FAA called the FAR/AIM. You should have a look, it's really quite enlightening. In fact, it contains many of the answers to questions we all ponder...

I'll give you all a hint, FAR 61.197 states...well, just read it. Unbelievable.

Take another bite of hubris. There's written exams from American Flyers and Gleim that everyone is talking about taking online. I was curious what happened if you failed them.

Go do some more touch and goes. In fact, why don't you touch and go away.

Labbats:

Can only speak for the A/F course, took it again in October. If my mind has not completely failed me, I remember you could take each module twice, but if you failed it more than twice you had to call the testing center for directions. Not sure what that meant, maybe whips and chains before passing. lol
I have never been a great scholar, but I had no trouble passing each module the first time. And, I don't instruct very much anymore, someone who does a fair amout should breeze through.
Good luck

I appreciate that. I have to take them soon myself.

CFIPilot said:

Nonesense, or did you mean NONsense? Maybe if you looked at an 8710-1 form published before 4-2000 you will see the "Personal Knowldege" check box under Flight Instructor Renewal on the back of the form.

It could have been before your time as a CFI. Some of us may have been a CFI longer than you have been alive. You should not be expected to know what was on an 8710 before your time. No need to get angry about it.

JAFI

Latest resources

Back