Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AlabamaMan!!

You broke muthafu*as!!!!
Anyone know of the best way to go without spending too much time or money? American Flyers has a $125 lifetime renewal, but I hear it is a 30 hour course online. I wouldnt mind doing it, but thats a lot of time and I feel like I'm giving money to the NY Yankees of aviation or similiar.

Any suggestions? Due at the end of the year.

Two thumbs up for Jeppesen

For the last four years (two renewals) I've been using Jeppesen online.

There are cheaper programs out there but I've been really satisfied with Jeppesen. The program is only 16 hours long, the graphics are pretty good and the pages load pretty quickly.

I might even go so far as to say I learn a thing or two.

I did mine through Gleim 18 months ago and it took around 8 hours to go through all of the modules. It was really easy and relatively pain free.

Little Duece said:
Every 2 years since 1978, I fill out an 8710 and give it to my current POI and get it for free.
Is that just a "favor" type deal, or can anyone of us fill out an 8710 an hand it to an examiner? How's that covered by the regs?

I do american flyers. This is my second renewal, so it actually is free. I don't think its 30 hours, probably more like 16. No matter what you need to meet the minumum time of instruction as required by the feds.
The American Flyers course is pretty dry, a lot of reading and a few videos. All tests are multiple choice. Unless you are a complete idiot, you should have no problem passing.

-CaKe

User997 said:
Is that just a "favor" type deal, or can anyone of us fill out an 8710 an hand it to an examiner? How's that covered by the regs?

I do know that if you are a current 135 instructor, you can do this and renew your CFI w/o a course.

FAR 61.197 tells you how to get your certficate renewed by presenting records of your instructional activity in the past 24 calendar months to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector. No charge involved.

I did American Flyers earlier this year and found it to be pretty painless, and informative, especially since I am retired and do not instruct on a regular basis anymore. You do have to stay online for the required hours, which I believe is 16 or so. That is the only way they can verify the time required by the FAA. I looked at Gleim and did not like the layout. Just my opinion though.

Latest resources

Back