• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you fly as a captain for a 135 or 121 carrier you can just fill out an 8710 and give it to your POI or an FAA inspector at FSDO...free of charge

I am a 135 captain in two different aircraft, but haven't given any dual in the last two years. I can just do an 87-10 and get renewed? Also, my CFI expired in August of 05. Can I still do this? I was a captain at that time. I would rather go this route than having to bust the big bucks for a renewal course.

flyinlow67 said:
I am a 135 captain in two different aircraft, but haven't given any dual in the last two years. I can just do an 87-10 and get renewed? Also, my CFI expired in August of 05. Can I still do this? I was a captain at that time. I would rather go this route than having to bust the big bucks for a renewal course.

Don't think so since your CFI has expired. It is my understanding that once the CFI has expired there are only three ways to get it re-instated: 1. Take a full check ride with a Fed or DE. 2. Take the whole thing over again from start to finish 3. Add on a new instructor rating, such as ME.

I could be wrong and am willing to be corrected.

Float-flyer

Alabama,
What up? No smilin' paul for a while, i figure i'll run into him on a commute one of these days though. How's chi-town treatin' ya? I'm dozing for dollars here as training is backed up for a few months... nothin like getting guarantee for doing squat...... call me........

flyinlow67 said:

1. A Minor point but, it is not a 87-10 form... it is a 8710-1 form.

2. An expired CFI can be re-instated during a 135 aircraft check ride with the prior agreement of the Inspector or Approved DPE. As long as the activities of the flight meet the requirements for CFI renewal, it can be done.

3. The below reference is from the Air Carrer Inspectors Handbook. A renewal can be based on: If "the Airman is in a position to evulate pilots". In a two pilot aircraft the Captain can evulate the First Officer for upgrade potential (depending on the companies manual prodedures).

Hope this helps.

JAFI

-------------------------------------------------------
FAA Order 8400.10

VOLUME 5. AIRMAN CERTIFICATION AND DESIGNATED EXAMINERS

CHAPTER 9. SELECTED PRACTICES

SECTION 6. RENEWAL OF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATES

765. GENERAL. This section contains guidance and
information for inspectors concerning the renewal of current
flight instructor certificates for pilots conducting
operations under Part 121 and Part 135.

Operations Inspector’s Handbook.
C. Other Activities Regularly Involving the Evaluation of
Pilots. An inspector may renew the flight instructor
certificate of an airman involved in any activities regularly
involving the evaluation of pilots; such activities might
include simulator-only instruction. In some cases, it may
be necessary for the applicants to demonstrate knowledge
of current pilot training and certification requirements and
standards by passing an oral test administered by the
inspector.

Last edited:
I hate to re-open this thread but I do have one quick question. I was reading the gleim instuctions for cfi renewal and saw something about sending in my actual cfi certificate in the mail before they issue me a temporary certificate. Do the other renewal services also do this or is this just a gleim procedure. I know I have the option of going to my local FSDO and presenting the certificate in person along with the online cerificate but I would prefer not to visit them if I don't have to. Thanks....

JAFI said:
1. A Minor point but, it is not a 87-10 form... it is a 8710-1 form.

2. An expired CFI can be re-instated during a 135 aircraft check ride with the prior agreement of the Inspector or Approved DPE. As long as the activities of the flight meet the requirements for CFI renewal, it can be done.

3. The below reference is from the Air Carrer Inspectors Handbook. A renewal can be based on: If "the Airman is in a position to evulate pilots". In a two pilot aircraft the Captain can evulate the First Officer for upgrade potential (depending on the companies manual prodedures).

Hope this helps.

JAFI

-------------------------------------------------------
FAA Order 8400.10

VOLUME 5. AIRMAN CERTIFICATION AND DESIGNATED EXAMINERS

CHAPTER 9. SELECTED PRACTICES

SECTION 6. RENEWAL OF FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATES

765. GENERAL. This section contains guidance and
information for inspectors concerning the renewal of current
flight instructor certificates for pilots conducting
operations under Part 121 and Part 135.

Operations Inspector’s Handbook.
C. Other Activities Regularly Involving the Evaluation of
Pilots. An inspector may renew the flight instructor
certificate of an airman involved in any activities regularly
involving the evaluation of pilots; such activities might
include simulator-only instruction. In some cases, it may
be necessary for the applicants to demonstrate knowledge
of current pilot training and certification requirements and
standards by passing an oral test administered by the
inspector.

DTW FSDO used to let Captains just turn in an 8710, even if they weren't check airmen or instructors at the carrier...not any more though.

Latest resources

Back