• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I took the Jeppesen one back in June with my time off (Sr. reserve @ TSA before the mass furloughs) and did it in three days (while on home reserve mind you).

I'd use them next time but I actually think I'm going to go with the Gleim since its a little cheaper and highly recommended.

tl;dr - The Jepp got the job done and was pretty cool.

My CFI is expiring this month. This is the first time ever that I cannot renew it on the basis of being a check airman. I keep getting these online courses ads in the mail. Any advice on these, which is best, are they worth it ?
Thanks

The FAA offices I'm familiar with say the rule requiring that an airline pilot be a check airman have changed. Now it's just any Part 121 or Part 135 captain, or so they say.

Ref: FSIMS 8900.1

C. Section 61.197(a)(2)(ii). Individuals have asked FAA about the intent of the statement, “in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots” in § 61.197(a)(2)(ii) and whether it has the same meaning as the old provision in § 61.197(b) . The FAA rewrote § 61.197 to expand the renewal provisions, mainly to include other PICs . For example, the following PICs , who regularly evaluate pilots, have the same reward provisions as a PIC in a part 121 operation:

· A PIC of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 135 ,
· Corporate PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft under part 125 or 133 ,
· U.S. military pilots who are PICs of a multiple pilot flightcrew aircraft,
· U.S. military instructor pilots and examiners who regularly evaluate pilots under part 125 or 133 , and
· Flight instructors who actively instruct in part 61 schools.
NOTE: FAA ASIs should review evidence of the applicant’s employment, which should clearly show that the applicant is in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots. ASIs also should have personal knowledge of the applicant’s flight instructing capabilities and qualities before renewing that applicant’s flight instructor certificate.

Latest resources

Back