CFI Renewal, best website?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

What is the best way to renew a CFI. I am looking for cheap and quick. If I could do it online that would be best! Thanks.

Just did mine with gleim online, did it in about 4-5 hours, had them do all the paperwork with the FSDO, very easy... the only legwork you have to do is to fedex them your old certificate, 8710, and a couple other pieces of paperwork when you're done with the online tests.

I did the American Flyers program back in February. It's cheap in that it's pay once, use it for life, but not quick, as I've heard the Gliem and Jeppesen programs are. I spent about 12-14 hours going through the American Flyers stuff, and learned a little bit too.

Has anyone ever done the AOPA/Jepp online renewal?

I've used the Jepp program the last 2 times, and I will probably use them again this year. I have been very happy with the program. When you go through the chapters, there is no minimum time that must be spent on each page. You can print out each chapter for later reference. So, what I do is scroll through all of the pages quickly, grab my printed copy of that chapter, then do the short quiz. You have all of the answers right there in front of you. There were probably around 15 chapters or so, and each has a quiz. When you are done, there is a final exam, and again, with the printed chapters, you have access to all of the answers. When you are done with that, you print out a copy of all of your test scores, fill out your 8710, print it, and do some other supporting documentation and ID verifications, put it in an envelope with your certificate, send it back to Jepp, and they will send you your temp. No having to go to your FSDO. I did the whole thing in 2 easy days (about 5-6 hours total work at a leisurely pace). Totally worth it, in my humble opinion.

I've done the American Flyers twice. Paid once, 3 years ago, then did it again last year, no charge. You do have to be logged on to the web site for a minimum amount of time, but as long as you pass the tests, you don't really have to be doing anything while logged on. If you do want to learn something, you can by picking the sections you are interested in and actually reading them.

Catnhat said:
I've done the American Flyers twice. Paid once, 3 years ago, then did it again last year, no charge. You do have to be logged on to the web site for a minimum amount of time, but as long as you pass the tests, you don't really have to be doing anything while logged on. If you do want to learn something, you can by picking the sections you are interested in and actually reading them.
I just did my 4th renewal on the American Flyers program. It's somewhat of a pain in the keester, but the price is certainly right - I paid $99 to sign up back then so it's more that paid for itself. All in all, it's probably the best deal out there if you're thinking long-term.

'Sled

CFI renewal

I did mine last feb with Gleim. It took about 4-6 hours and I didn't have to go to the FSDO. I know the American Fliers is cheaper, but if it takes twice as long and you have to go to the FSDO, how much is your time really worth?

Latest resources

Back