• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI Programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I went through Airmens 3 years ago, the initial ride was the CFII and it wasn't with a DPE. They had part 141 examining authority and all you had to do was pass the final stage check with the Chief Instructor and you got your ticket.

The next ride was an "add-on" CFI with a DPE. So, even if you bust your first "ride" (stage check) there is no pink slip! Just a do over. Is that the way is still is?

Under $500.00

Go to www.faa.gov

Download the PTS for a CFI

Reference the list of Advisor Circulars in the PTS and obtain a copy of each one. Most you can download for free and print out at work, and then carry them around in your employee handbook which you read from all day. The rest can be obtained for a small fee from the Government printing office or some place like sportys pilot shop.

When I did my CFI two years ago I think I spent about $50.00 total on advisory circulars I had to order. Here is a big hint; the FAA does not care about ANY material outside what is in those publications.

Then go take the check-ride with the FSDO which is actually FREE. I needed about 7 hours in an archer to get steep turns and the other maneuvers down from the right seat. The total cost of my CFI and CFII was maybe $500.00, most all of which was the aircraft rental fees.

The next ride was an "add-on" CFI with a DPE. So, even if you bust your first "ride" (stage check) there is no pink slip! Just a do over. Is that the way is still is?

That is correct, your last flight (stage check) is your CFII checkride or atleast that is how it was two years ago. I would only assume that is how it is still done present day. This was done part 141 before your CFI ride which is done under part 61 cause it is quicker that way (less hours). You cannot bust your CFII ride HOWEVER you SURE can bust your CFI add on ride part 61 with the DPE and many have done just that.... And yes, there is a pink slip issued for "busting" this ride. A few in my class had this not so "enjoyable" thing happen to them. The FAA seems to keep a close eye on this flight school and that was quite evident from seeing inspectors there auditing and "looking" around during my time there.

And...... even though you cannot so-called "bust" your CFII ride, many who were not within standards did have to re-do this ride quite a few times before they were issued the ticket. By no means was this a "gime"- Will Degraw (sp?) was a typical red neck who would put ya through the ringer and really test your ability. There were probably 2 or 3 in my class out of 10 or so that experienced this since they had in mind prior to arriving that this school was nothing more than a certificate mill- (they learned quickly)

I did feel that for the price in comparison to the other schools that I got my money's worth and was pleased with the training for the most part. Is there a "cheaper" way to get it done.?? Is there a better way to get it done.?? I am sure there is however no program seems to be "perfect".:D - I do still feel to this day that this is the "best" school when it comes down to getting the CFI/CFII in the quickest possible amount of time and getting the best possible ground training in a short given amount of time as well. I thought Lair (sp?) did a fine job of teaching the ground school.

c h e e r s

3 5 0

anyone from LAS pm me, I have a few questions regarding to New Years here:D

Do you just want the rating or do you want be able to get a job?

I suggest you find a quality FBO and impress the hell out of them while you are earning your CFI. In the current job market that is your best bet in getting hired. The problem with all of the places mentioned above is that there is very little chance that they will hire you. Flight Safety has a 8-12 month waiting list for CFI's, Comair is probably hiring less than half of the people who complete their CFI program. In addition, these places are incredibly expensive. People at Comair are spending $12,000 on their initial CFI and 5,000 - 10,000 more on their CFII. I'm am not exaggerating. If you just want to get the ratings, I know 2 guys who got their CFI/CFII at American Flyers for $7,000. One of them was fortunate enough to walk into a job instructing. I would stay away from Sheble's for an initial CFI, their programs are just to "abbreviated".

CFI Practical

Originally posted by larry
Here is a big hint; the FAA does not care about ANY material outside what is in those publications.
Truer words were never spoken (written). My CFI-I examiner drummed that into my head thoroughly. I've repeated it here before and I will, again: The FAA publications are the FAA's final word on how it wants things done, taught and flown.

Then go take the check-ride with the FSDO which is actually FREE.
True. But (1) FSDO can be hard to schedule - and it may just refer you to a DE and (2) many feds can be hard to figure. At least DEs have a track record and you can get an idea what to expect.

I appreciate EMcx2's point. Instructing is about the only job entry-level pilots can get - as well as the easiest, comparatively speaking - in ANY times, good and bad. Consider getting your CFI at a more formal training venue for the reasons he gives.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

My first priority is to get quality instruction. I figure to be rather low time when I work on the CFI. I want to be sure that I am getting a quality education to compensate for any areas of weakness that low time pilots typically have. If this is the focus, then is the consensus that I should attend a large, well-established shool, like Flight Safety? My concern being that many FBOs don't train CFIs very often.

Also, I want to work as a CFI. Earning this rating will have some value to me of its own (i.e. a great accomplishment). However, I really want the CFI to begin a career in aviation. Therefore, where will I work? If you can find a school with a guranteed job, are there any gurantees on flight hours? "If you finish our program you will be hired as a CFI." (You will sit around making coffee and not get any students . . . thanks for the money though!)

FSI

cookmg said:
[T]hen is the consensus that I should attend a large, well-established shool, like Flight Safety? My concern being that many FBOs don't train CFIs very often.
A lot depends. It really boils down to instructor availability and quals. A flight instructor who has held his/her certificate for at least 24 months and has given at least 200 hours of instructor has to give you the training. I would guess that these days there are plenty of CFIs available at plenty of FBOs with those quals. You should do plenty of shopping around for schools.
If you can find a school with a guranteed job, are there any gurantees on flight hours . . . .
I can speak for FSI. New-hires who are school graduates don't start flying right away. They work their way up. They may work in dispatch or in scheduling. They teach ground school. I recall that new-hire FSI grads didn't fly until about six months after being hired.

The amount of flying that you will get very much depends on a place's student load. If you find a place that guarantees a job, it may be that the place "hires" you to hang around, but you won't get paid unless you fly. Just check it out carefully.

Hope that helps some more. Once more, good luck with your efforts.

If you choose Comair you must complete at least two ratings (CFI/II) before interviewing. The CFI training is outstanding although, as others mentioned, the work is done mostly by you and your books. You will prepare and present 22 briefs to different CFI's.

There is no guarantee of being hired but if you are hired you will start flying right away. CAA is in pretty good shape student wise right now because of the guaranteed airline interview at the end. FSI isn't as I understand -- 3:1 CFI: student ratio at CAA and closer to 1:1 at FSI.

The program is relatively expensive (around $10K for both ratings with a credit coming back for your MEI if you're hired) but definitely high quality. I wouldn't do it unless you're pretty sharp and very motivated. If so, you stand a very good shot at geting hired.

Well, comair sounds very interesting. It seems they combine excellent training along with a shot at a good job. However . . . 10,000! Wow! That's up to three times the quote I've seen at other 141 schools . . . and as someone mentioned here, you could do it yourself part 61 even cheaper. And, there are no gurantees.

So, you have to be sharp and motivated? Does anyone have any specifics on what can get you hired at comair? Don't these situations end up being about politics? Can you work hard, do well, and earn that kind of job?

What's the reimbursment on the MEI?

What do you get for the 10K anyhow?

Thanks

Latest resources

Back