CFI Programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

I was hoping to get some info on various CFI programs around the the States. Which programs do you guys suggest? I live on the west coast, but could relocate for training.

In this current economy, are there any schools that will gurantee hiring for their CFI grads? Do these agreements tend to work out? (i.e. Yeah they'll hire you . . . but that doesn't mean you get any students.)

Is there a school that is known for training the most qualified CFIs? Flight safety?

American flyers offes CFI/II for 3000. That's cheap! What's the catch? How's the training?

Thanks a lot!

Mike

Schools

In this day and age, I wouldn't hold my breath about any "guaranteed" jobs. Although there may be places that might renege on any guarantees they may make, it's more of a matter that there are no jobs and waiting lists (pools) of hirees. For example, last I heard there was a six-month waiting list at FSI.

I taught CFI students at Flight Safety Academy ten years ago. I'm proud of the students that I trained for the rating, for sure, but it is a good CFI program. Good and expensive, too, but I think you get what you pay for.

On the other hand, you can check out Sheble Aviation in Kingman, Arizona. I went there for my ATP when they were in Blythe. The place is fast. You have to go to Sheble's well prepared.

Any one of the major commercial flight schools can work with you for your CFI. You don't necessarily have to be a 141 student.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your training.

Check out American Flyers... www.americanflyers.net

The don't guarantee a job, but I went to the Addison, TX school and thought it was well worth the money!

Good luck!

As a former graduate of one of those programs mentioned above, I could not give it a high recommendation. In fact, I've gotten a very bad taste from my experience there.

I understand A.F. is a $7k program for the part 141 version of the full package.

You can't go wrong with Flight Safety.

Just my humble opinion.

I attended Airman Flight school in Norman OK two years ago and I was pleased with the way the program was set up. You will EARN the ticket even though you will be able to do the "initial" ride with a dpe. Clint Buehler (sp?) one of the dpe's will definitely make you earn the ticket and he has been known to fail many on the first attempt. (fortunately I had a good ride and passed the first time around) Word on the street was that Clint was responsible for yanking Hoover's medical years ago or something along those lines while he was still with the FAA. Bud is/ or was the other dpe who also was known as a stickler and would also give you a good ride. John Lair (sp?) teaches the ground school and he really makes sure that most students know more than just the basics and he is a very good and effective teacher. I would highly suggest that you look into this program. It was pretty intense and they will push you in most aspects if they feel that you are not up to par. There were a few in my class that washed out prior to even finishing the CFII program which you will do first and under part 141 while the CFI is done under part 61. This program is really set up for students who are up on the FAR's inside and out, very instrument current, and really are dedicated to getting the CFI and CFII as quickly as possible. Lair really doesn't f$*$ around nor does Will. If I had to do it again then without a doubt I would go back to Airman. The planes are not the best nor is the mx BUT it is a "safe" envir. and the 172RG is a very easy plane to do your ride in. Best of all you are 100% guaranteed to get both ratings for a "set price" that cannot increase regardless of whether it takes you 10 or 30 hours to complete the course.

good luck

Airman

Hey, 350, could the "Bud" be Bud Bricker? If so, I agree that he is excellent. He used to run the FSDO at Wiley Post. He retired and became a DE. He had a reputation for being tough while at the FSDO. I took three rides with him and found him to be more than fair. I sent a student to him with the same results.

Don't forget about great BBQ in the OKC-Norman area. E.g., a flight to Ada for Bob's BBQ will be well worth it.

I went to Sheble in Henderson NV. for the Commercial, Multiengine and CFI. Upon completion of the Commercial and Multiengine I decided not to continue there. I didn't feel that they could adequately prepare me to instruct other students at that stage of my flying experience.

If you go in prepared by studying and have time in (at the very least) a complex aircraft and hopefully the right seat. then an excellerated program is a great way to go. My experience at Sheble wasn't that great because I was behind (no complex time) and my personal standard for the CFI was not yet met.

After I came home I did a lot of reading, downloading and preparation for the CFI checkride. I built time in complex high performance and Multiengine. When I took my ride I was sure I was ready.

Best of luck it's a great feeling to get,

Chad

I did my ratings (instrument through CFII/MEI) with ATP in Manassas, VA--did my initial CFI (which was multi in a Seminole) at Ft. Lauderdale.

The best thing about the ATP program is the ME time. I came out of there with 120+ hours of ME. Some people may complain that about half of that time was safety pilot time, but you can learn a lot being a safety pilot. The other good thing was the real-world XC I got. My partner and I flew a PA-44 from San Diego to Jacksonville and did numerous trips between VA and FLA. The Florida factories won't get you that kind of experience.

Now the bad part: as far as CFIs go, it's a real crap shoot. I had very little (and very poor) ground instruction for most of my ratings. My partner and I worked our butts off and were practically self taught. Others had better CFIs, but most of them are only 200 hours ahead of you in the pipeline and don't have a wealth of experience to draw on. I pushed through the program despite that (for reasons I won't go into here) but in hindsight, wish I had done my instrument training with a good instructor at my local FBO, even if it had taken six months.

As someone said above, you get what you pay for, and you'll get more high-quality ground training at FS or Comair. However, you get out with 15 hours multi. It's all a balance.

If you're not in a big hurry (and with the airline hiring market, ain't no reason to be), you might want to think of keeping the day job and knocking the ratings off as fast as you can at your local FBO.

That's my two cents. You can PM me if you have questions about ATP. Rgds, spitfire

Hey, 350, could the "Bud" be Bud Bricker?

I do believe this to be true. A great guy to talk to and shoot the breeze with. He will definitely make you "earn" a ticket, however I did hear from a few in my class that he was also "fair" even though he did appear to have a high failure rate on the first attempt (pertaining to the CFI initial). I was kind of hoping to get my ride with him but it just so happened that Clint could fit me in quicker and since I wanted to wrap it up asap and since christmas was fastly approaching I just went ahead and got it done. I really thought Clint was a great guy and hope I run into him at some point down the line in the future.

Mr. Earl Nash was also another "local legend" and a very sharp stick, however a C421 got the better part of him while "attempting" an approach back into OUN. just weeks after he gave us our CFII rides. - All in all I thought Airman was a good experience.

The BBQ is fabulous there, not to mention the college "hotties" at OU that are a sight to enjoy A N D the female oil "wrastlin" at the Ramada hotel.:D :D

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back