CFI expiration date?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superfreight208

Got a ATP certificate back in April of 2008. (CFI was current then) Since I took a practical does my CFI renew because of that? It says on my CFI that it expires in November 2010? Is this true? It would be 24 months from the date of ATP.

Thanks

Seriously...If you really don't know the answer to that, you probably shouldn't have a CFI certificate.

It seems Superfrieght is not a Super CFI. So how about some instructing here.

A student walks up (to SF) and asks how can he renew his/her CFI.

So SF, where can a pilot find the LEGAL (hint) information on how CERTIFICATION (hint) is done?

(Jeopardy theme song playing here awaiting answer)

Seriously...If you really don't know the answer to that, you probably shouldn't have a CFI certificate.

You actually think I am instructing right NOW!! You stupid son of a .......................!

Go fly your 150 around the patch!

Last edited:
Dude... your gonna be a hater, Commercial flying is one thing, instructing is just another form flying..which means we are all doing the same thing...doing something we love..now to renew your CFI you must accomplish a FIRC program every two years regardless of ratings added...And you can now renew your CFI up to four months of the expiration(the expiration month plus three) and keep the same month..I like the AOPA two day weekend course all done in a weekend.and they do ALL the paperwork..just don't let it expire or you must do a check ride.

here is the reg,
Sec. 61.197 - Renewal of flight instructor certificates.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by --
(1) Passing a practical test for --
(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or
(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or
(2) Presenting to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector --
(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt;
(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots; or
(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.
(b) The expiration month of a renewed flight instructor certificate shall be 24 calendar months from --
(1) The month the renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished; or
(2) The month of expiration of the current flight instructor certificate provided --
(i) The renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate, and
(ii) If the renewal is accomplished under paragraph (a)(2)(iii) of this section, the approved flight instructor refresher course must be completed within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate.
(c) The practical test required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device if the test is accomplished pursuant to an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

Last edited:
Since you asked...

Got a ATP certificate back in April of 2008. (CFI was current then) Since I took a practical does my CFI renew because of that? It says on my CFI that it expires in November 2010? Is this true? It would be 24 months from the date of ATP.

Thanks

Three ways to renew a CFI certificate:

1)Taking a practical test for CFI.

2)Complete an approved FIRC.

3)Present a satisfactory student pass rate to FSDO.

So no, the ATP checkride (or any checkride other than that for a CFI) would not count toward the CFI renewal.

Last edited:
WOW an honest answer!! Thanks

Thanks
Dude... your gonna be a hater, Commercial flying is one thing, instructing is just another form flying..which means we are all doing the same thing...doing something we love..now to renew your CFI you must accomplish a FIRC program every two years regardless of ratings added...And you can now renew your CFI up to four months of the expiration(the expiration month plus three) and keep the same month..I like the AOPA two day weekend course all done in a weekend.and they do ALL the paperwork..just don't let it expire or you must do a check ride.

here is the reg,
Sec. 61.197 - Renewal of flight instructor certificates.
(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by --
(1) Passing a practical test for --
(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or
(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or
(2) Presenting to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector --
(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt;
(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots; or
(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.
(b) The expiration month of a renewed flight instructor certificate shall be 24 calendar months from --
(1) The month the renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished; or
(2) The month of expiration of the current flight instructor certificate provided --
(i) The renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate, and
(ii) If the renewal is accomplished under paragraph (a)(2)(iii) of this section, the approved flight instructor refresher course must be completed within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate.
(c) The practical test required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device if the test is accomplished pursuant to an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

You actually think I am instructing right NOW!! You stupid son of a .......................!

Go fly your 150 around the patch!

Whether or not you are instructing right NOW [sic] is irrelevant...You are the holder of a valid flight instructor certificate.. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the answer off the top of your head but as a CFI you should definitely know where to look it up on your own.

Your CFI expiration date is written right on the certificate.
How to renew it is clearly spelled out in 14 CFR part 61.197

Last edited:
And you gave him/her the answer, he still doesn't know how to FIND the answer or is too lazy. You did him no favors. It makes one wonder what he will be teaching a student or other pilots when they seek his "wisdom".

Latest resources

Back