CFI Benefits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aucfi said:
I have planned on flight instructing for at least two years. That seems to be the duration most CFIs teach here after graduating until they get something better... I am 22 right now.

Forget the insurance, if you throw yourself into the work, you'll be out of there by the end of the summer (if they fly through the summer). You're young, and provided you don't have any health problems now, you can stand staying healthy for a year or so. Airlines are hiring at a pretty brisk rate, so get your 800 hours in this year, forget about the second job, and put your resumes in everywhere... ExpressJet, Colgan, and Pinnacle. One of those three will hire you.

Good luck,

Shy

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll tough it out over the next year or two and be real careful.

I found out today the insurance I am on covers me for 4 months after I graduate so I can still have some wild and crazy fun this summer and not worry TOO much about it.

au

You guys are really sweating over nothing. I was without health insurance for over three years when I was doing a lot of ski mountaineering. Talk about taking a risk.

Don't worry about the insurance. Exercise regularly, eat right (Subway doesn't count Jared), don't drink alcohol and for God sakes stop smoking. You shouldn't need health insurance after all that. Drink plenty of water and have lots of sex and you'll be fit as a caveman.

Flying is low risk compared to all the negative habits we humans have adopted.

Flight instructor health benies

aucfi said:
Im graduating college April 30th and will be instructing full time in the fall for the university. The problem is they don’t have ANY benefits for their instructors. Instructing for the university is a great opportunity and I do not want to pass it up but living without medical insurance is too risky.

Is it unusual for CFIs jobs to not have benefits or is it just my school? I’ve looked into buying medical insurance and it is outrageous ($150-200/month). How did you all manage???
You absolutely, positively, do not want to pass up instructing for your school. Hire upon graduation is always a consideration when selecting a school. Do not let the lack of health insurance influence your decision to work at your school.

Medical benefits depend on the school. ERAU and FlightSafety had health insurance. I do not remember if I had it at MAPD. My very last job, which was instructing Part 61 contract Middle Eastern students, had no benefits whatsoever, so I had to purchase health insurance.

You do not want to be without health insurance. Look into it, even if it means doing without other things. As far as Workers' Comp insurance goes, at least in Colorado, every employer is required by law to carry it. The law may be the same in your state, so you will be covered by your school's Comp policy.

Good luck with your new job.

Bobbysamd is right, as an instructor at FlightSafety we have excellent benefits; Cigna health, dental, vision, 401K, to name a few (about $30 a month). Of course there are some that complain about it, but that holds true wherever you go. It's definately a great place to instruct.
I've also been on the other end of the spectrum; nothing like lying in bed wondering what that rash is... I mean... if I had a rash....

Tom

FSI benies aside

tom_rob said:
Bobbysamd is right, as an instructor at FlightSafety we have excellent benefits; Cigna health, dental, vision, 401K, to name a few (about $30 a month).
My primary squawk with the FSI 401-K was it was one-sided. Employees only contributed to the plan. The company contributed nothing. With other 401-Ks I had or knew, the company contributed.

Latest resources

Back