Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aucfi

Endowed Member
Im graduating college April 30th and will be instructing full time in the fall for the university. The problem is they don’t have ANY benefits for their instructors. Instructing for the university is a great opportunity and I do not want to pass it up but living without medical insurance is too risky.

Is it unusual for CFIs jobs to not have benefits or is it just my school? I’ve looked into buying medical insurance and it is outrageous ($150-200/month). How did you all manage???

au

Quite common for CFIs to not get benefits. Primarily because they're nearly all ready to give away their "services" for free so they can gain an hour of flight time.

Last edited:
Lucky me, I have full medical, dental, 401k, paid vacation and sick days, and free college classes. Say what you want about having a degree, but I couldn't have gotten this job without one.

-Goose

Ralgha said:
Quite common for CFIs to not get benefits. Primarily because they're nearly all ready to give away their "services" for free so they can gain an hour of flight time.

yea, join the club of flight time hoes :D

Definetly going to have to get another job on the side. I just dont want flight instructing to become the "side job."

You don't have to get another job. If you're in an area that has decent potential, then strive to be the best instructor around. That should allow you to command at least $35/hr. Couple that with charging "from hi to bye" and by the time you get things rolling you could be making decent money. Granted it's not easy, but no teaching job is.

500 HR CFI's are a dime a dozen with no real world experience or knowledge. An entire staff of CFI's could be replaced within days with no real disruptions in flight operations.

Nothing personal, I was once there too. But you are not a valuable asset to the University so there is no real need or justification for the expense of benefits to try to keep you around. Benefits (med, dental, 401, etc) are designed to attract and retain the best employees and to gain loyalty. You are going to jump ship with the first smell of an RJ and not look back.

I would have to say that benefits are an exception and not the norm as an instructor.

Last edited:
Let's just say that I stopped riding my snowboard and motorcycle while I was instructing. Oh, and prayed to God that when my stomach ached that it wasn't an appendix or something.

Get a very high deductible and you should be able to manage. Different states have ways of making it easier to live on that type of insurance. Check around. And be careful, be very careful.

Benefits! Hahahahahahaha.....

Seroiusly, thats the first time I've even heard of soemeone expecting them.

Too Risky! are you sure your a flight instructor?

Latest resources

Back