• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna Twin Caravan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are dash 112's, but thats a small difference. When they were introduced one photo showed that the trailing edge of the left nacelle can be detached so that a fork lift can be driven up to the cargo door sill.

I believe that they are also unpressurized.

Priority Air has em. (PRY1 is the flight number they use)

The horizontal tail is not the same as a 404. The 404 shares its fuselage with one of the conquests. The 404 has the same wet wing as one of the conquests so the time you can spend in the air with the 404 is incredible.
Both planes are really cool, I have never seen one of the twin Caravans in person.

Poor man's King Air..?

Why in the world whould somebody pay $4 Mill for a twin Cessna with turbines?

A Conquest or a Citiation would probably be a better deal with better performance and a better price tag.....?

CSY Mon said:
Poor man's King Air..?

Why in the world whould somebody pay $4 Mill for a twin Cessna with turbines?

A Conquest or a Citiation would probably be a better deal with better performance and a better price tag.....?

Because they're operating from fairly short gravel runways, carying a bunch of people and cargo, short, low altitude legs so pressurization isn't needed or even desirable.

THat's what the 406 was designed for, Alaska, Canada, Africa places like that.

THat's what the 406 was designed for, Alaska, Canada, Africa places like that.

Roger on that, but wouldn't a Twin Otter or a Concuest fit the same bill..?

The Twotter for more load and shorter strips for less money.
And the C-441 for same loads but with higher speeds..?
(Perhaps more maintenace on the -441 if the Twin -Van was designed for third world countries like the DHC-6 and the F-28.)

As for being designed for Alaska, Canada or Africa..Never saw them Twin Caravans there, they must be rare birds indeed..How may made.? 50, 60..?

CSY Mon said:

(Perhaps more maintenace on the -441 if the Twin -Van was designed for third world countries like the DHC-6 and the F-28.)

As for being designed for Alaska, Canada or Africa..Never saw them Twin Caravans there, they must be rare birds indeed..How may made.? 50, 60..?
You guys are overthinking this to the point where Beech 99's should have never been made.

In Europe, Canada and America, single engine turbines were pooh-pooh'ed...so they made twin engine unpressurized turbine aircraft to fufill the customer's need. The twin Caravan was one of those planes. If you don't like it, sue somebody or at least kick them in the pills.

CSY Mon said:

The twotter is a great plane, but it's *very* slow, and if I recall there's something about the wing, maybe a life-limited spar or something that is taking a lot of them out of service. Maybe a DHC-6 expert can add more or correct me on that. As for the conquest, I think the caravan has ruggeder gear and is more roomy and has bigger doors. Additionally the conquest's pressurization system is a cost liability when the mission is short low altitude legs. I donno how many there are, I can think of about 4 operating here in Alaska.

In Europe, Canada and America, single engine turbines were pooh-pooh'ed...

Except a few Swiss single turbo jobs and uhm, a few Beaver, Otter conversions, and perhaps some Malibu turbine stuff and then the CIA STOL birds and all that,

The twin Caravan was one of those planes. If you don't like it, sue somebody or at least kick them in the pills.

At any rate, point taken, will sue sombody if the Twin-Van don't hit the spot on the board.:cool:

Latest resources

Back