Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna says it will "One up" Gulfstream 650 for speed title!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Whale Rider

Unity is Our Strength
Cessna to Gulfstream:
You Talk the Talk,
But Will You Walk the Walk?

Gulfstream has landed plenty of headlines in the last few months with their recently announced G650. With its rollout still years away, the plane’s order book is already filled up until the second half of the next decade. And why not? When the business jet manufacturer delivers their new flagship plane starting in 2012, the G650 will be the crème de la crème of business jets: the fastest, furthest flying civil aviation craft on the market.

Cessna president Jack Pelton, speaking at the Farnborough Air Show, isn’t buying the hype though. Before he relinquishes the speed crown Cessna has won with its Citation X, he argued, Gulfstream should actually build the plane first. After all it’s one thing to have your plane on a drawing board somewhere and claim it will be the fastest, it’s another thing altogether to build it have it be so.

Even if Gulfstream does manage to take the speed title (plans call for a top speed of Mach 0.925 for the G650, a smidgeon faster than the Citation X’s Mach 0.92) Pelton is adamant that Cessna will compete to be the world’s fastest, telling reporters “Today were are still the fastest and if Gulfstream achieve what they say the are going to do then we will one-up them. We are not going to rest on this one!”

Both Cessna and Gulfstream may have their hands full if plans go forward for Aerion’s supersonic business jet. Aerion is currently looking for a manufacturer for their jet design, whose top speed of Mach 1.4 would easily trump current Gulfstream and Cessna designs.

http://jets.halogenguides.com/artic...-you-talk-the-talk-but-will-you-walk-the-walk

there are a lotta bruised X ego's at NJ.....i love it.

Why???? Like the article said they haven't built anything yet. I give to the edge to the guys who have actually done it already. Everyone's planning on something special, few actually do anything.

Why???? Like the article said they haven't built anything yet. I give to the edge to the guys who have actually done it already. Everyone's planning on something special, few actually do anything.

lol...well you sound like a X guy....

it was kinda a joke but forget about it.

lol...well you sound like a X guy....

it was kinda a joke but forget about it.

Nope far from an X guy. LOL
But I do belive the president of cessna on this one.
You guys have any orders on this new bird???????

Cessna "one upping" someone. Hahahahahhaha.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now that's funny. I think the only airplane their crap has bragging rights over is the Merlin.

Keep it coming Wichita. This ******************** is funny.

Why would anyone's ego be bruised? Who cares that the thing will fly faster. Last I checked, a Captain at NJA is making well over 100k, great benefits, great schdule and work rules. I'm sure that the "bruised egos" will take that anyday.

General Motors has always been jealous of BMW...

Wolfpackpilot

Now thats funny .. Falcons are BMW's, Gulfstreams are Porsches :)

As for speed, who cares? A 14 hour day is a 14 hour day. The ability to climb to FL470 on a routine basis? ... Priceless

Latest resources

Back