• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 421 down near Kapa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW. I didn't think there were any more 36 year old 421's still flying. That old beast nearly twice the age of the pilot. If the reports are true.

Years ago, I knew a guy that decided to buy a 421 shortly after getting his multi-commercial certificate. He had 270 hours, none in the 421, and about 13 in the Seminole. I told him that he was dreaming if he thought he'd be able to insure it at any price. He made the comment that with the prices on the big twin Cessna's being so depressed, he could pick up an older 421 for less than 200K. At that price, he could pay cash, and not have to worry about insurance.

Fortunately maintenance ate him alive, forcing him to sell it six months later - before he had a chance to kill himself.

I'm not making any assumtions about this girl's experience, but it seems that the 300/400 series attracts pilots with more money than sense.

Of course it does. That's the American way. What would this country be without the lousy FAA handing out the answers to any test, and basically allowing any schlamiel with money to fly airplanes. In Europe, you actually have to be intelligent, and well educated in the complexities of aviation before they allow you in the sky. I can almost guarantee that the number of airplane crashes has not changed, just the number of them the media picks up...

Of course, nothing has indicated that the 20 year old was the PIC of the plane. The article made mention that she was the owner, and that she held a commercial multi certificate. But that by itself doesn't necessarily mean she was flying.

Knob said:
This 421 is owned by a 20 year old woman-The victims are noted as 1 woman and 2 men, names not mentioned. I hope this is not a case of inexperience contributing to the cause of this crash. Wait until the media figures that out.
Her father bought her the aircraft for her to build time in. I only met her once, and all I know is that she was low time and one of the gentlemen on board was serving in a instructor/safety pilot capacity.

I believe it was an insurance checkout with cfi and insurance guy in back observing. Very sad. She was a wonderful young woman (did not know the other 2)

Oakum_Boy said:
Of course it does. That's the American way. What would this country be without the lousy FAA handing out the answers to any test, and basically allowing any schlamiel with money to fly airplanes. In Europe, you actually have to be intelligent, and well educated in the complexities of aviation before they allow you in the sky. I can almost guarantee that the number of airplane crashes has not changed, just the number of them the media picks up...
Well, I think Europe has plenty of its own problems too. Those of you who are AOPA members, here's a link explaining the difficulty of flying in Europe:
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pilot/2002/worse0211.html

Most of that is just bureaucratic BS that hinders flying. Perhaps that somehow makes things "safer", but there's no way I'd get involved in aviation with that kind of red tape and huge expense.

I'd also think somebody with your high amount of time (it's very high compared to me at least) would've been around long enough to realize the importance of getting and reacting to the knowledge of what happened in a particular crash. You're just shooting from the hip with NO INFORMATION about this accident!

I've heard the knowledge tests are pretty difficult in Europe, but I'd also wonder how often Europeans get to fly on a regular basis compared to US pilots. In England and northern Europe, they have bad weather and extremely high expenses to contend with. They don't have as many accidents, but they sure don't have as many people flying out there either. And if you were to look at it normalized to population, I'd argue there's a much greater percentage of the pilot population out there in Europe that are professional pilots w/ a crew of 2. That's not such a great thing when you look at how many people here start off having to foot the bill until CFI (even then still paying, but hopefully less). The only way you could play that game would be military or extremely rich.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? I've heard a lot of people bashing our system compared to the JAA or whatever, but so far I've only seen ranting rather than facts.

Latest resources

Back