• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cessna 206 vs Cessna 207

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I flew a 207 in AK and have also launched Meat Missiles (jumpers) from a 206. The 206 had an IO 550 and the 207 a 520 so the 206 had a little power and weight advantage. An empty 207 would however climb 2000fpm at about standard temp and I am told that the 520 is a better built and cheaper to operate engine. The 207 has a luggage compartment in front and if you try to drag it into a short strip using a little power the world just disappears behind that big nose... it's a big surprise believe me! The 207 can get overloaded easily, it’s just real big inside. Anyway, if I had my pick of airplanes, I’d choose the lead sled (207) any day. Thing is, it’s just balanced nicely something about the longer fuselage or a different tail I guess. I’ve heard that some jump zones have turbine 207s that would be an awesome mod. Yea baby yea!!!!

The 207 was more of a rotate and fly off, while the 206 would mostly pop-off the runway. I thought the 207 was nice and stable and the 206 was a little more sporty for getting in and out of tight spots.

My first job was in the Bristol Bay area. We had an elaborate "loading schedule" in lieu of W&B. You put a worn-out tire under the tailcone, and after you filled it to the roof with pop, canned goods, and other associated grocery/mail, if the nose came down when the pilot boarded you were good to go. If not, if after you started it the nose came down - again good to go. And finally, if you got the nose down with about 1800 RPM - good to go. Worked good, lasted a long time...

LAZYB said:
We had an elaborate "loading schedule" in lieu of W&B. You put a worn-out tire under the tailcone, and after you filled it to the roof with pop, canned goods, and other associated grocery/mail, if the nose came down when the pilot boarded you were good to go. If not, if after you started it the nose came down - again good to go. And finally, if you got the nose down with about 1800 RPM - good to go. Worked good, lasted a long time...

Amen, bro! Good memories there. The natives would always giggle when, after trying one loading arrangement of 6 folks, the tail came down, and we'd try another loading arrangement. I'd joke that someone had been eating too much, and they'd all laugh and laugh. Man, those Yupik are some great people, especially the older ones.

Scared myself a couple of times when 1,000 lbs of pop in triple-mailers would slide aft a foot or two on rotation. That made things interesting. Never did like the plywood cargo floors for just that reason: a little too slippery.

Just my opinoin but the turbo 207 is the best single engine piston cessna ever made and I've flown almost all of them. I flew one for a season over the canyon fully loaded with 6 fat Germans or 7 Koreans every flight. It handeled the turbulance as good as an otter and dirt strips and high cross winds were never a problem. I learned a lot flying that plane and would love to own one.

Aye, memories are coming back now...

Flew the C-207 in Bethel a few years, also C-206, C-185s, etc.

The 207 can indeed be forced to land in higher crosswinds:

In my opinion, the 207 is a much better cross-wind airplane than the 206,

Fully loaded I put one down at some dirt strip with a 30 knot direct x-wind:
No flaps, 110 on the clock, gravel flying from locked wheels...Them were the days.:nuts:
(Hard to taxi and turn 'em around in that kind of wind)

Flew sky divers in various C-206s also.
Agree with previous posters on the differences, nose-heavy when empty, slightly better performance, etc.

Never had a 207 disappoint me, but interesting stories to tell from Alaska and the big singles.

Aye, memories are coming back now...

Flew the C-207 in Bethel a few years, also C-206, C-185s, etc.

The 207 can indeed be forced to land in higher crosswinds:

Fully loaded I put one down at some dirt strip with a 30 knot direct x-wind:
No flaps, 110 on the clock, gravel flying from locked wheels...Them were the days.:nuts:
(Hard to taxi and turn 'em around in that kind of wind)

Flew sky divers in various C-206s also.
Agree with previous posters on the differences, nose-heavy when empty, slightly better performance, etc.

Never had a 207 disappoint me, but interesting stories to tell from Alaska and the big singles.
Ahhh... the memories.

We flew into Bethal years ago and took a 207 out to some place on the Quinhawk (spelling ?) river. It was a great trip and I have never looked at prop nicks in quite the same way since. :D

A lot of my time in 207s was spent flying "public service" government contracts for the INS - 10 passengers and baggage wasn't unheard of. CG was respected, max certified takeoff weights weren't. The 207 was pretty amazing actually, as long as it didn't fall on its tail you were within CG limits. :eek:

I'll second the comment about landing in 30 knot plus crosswinds. Been there done that.

LS

Aye and yes there was a CG problem on the C-207.

Had 'em go on the tail many a times: Crank up and give it some RPM with down elevator: IF the tail came up, ya were good to taxi and take off.

One of the strong memories from those days was hauling 2 dead moose and 2 native hunters from somewhere to Bethel...It may have been Holy Croos or a similar village with a 3000' gravel strip.

I was new up there then, and had not found the limits for myself or the 207.
We put all the seats in the tailcone, then loaded moose meat untill it was up to over the windows. One hunter in the f/o seat, the other one laying flat on top of the meat, unable to move around between the ceiling and the meat bags.
The tires was flat and the plane sitting kind of low. Tail on the ground of course.

It took full power to taxi and that should perhaps have been a clue.
On t/o we used every inch of the strip and somehow got the thing airborne, but it was in no mood to climb. At the far end of the strip there was a river with trees on both sides. I managed to turn and follow the river more or less in ground effect, but was unable to climb above the trees for about an hour.

The eskimo hunters was laughing and giggling because they had saved on charter cost: Insteading of chartering 2 planes for the 2 mooses, they got away with one plane.

We finally got over the trees and could set a course for Bethel.
At this time I was painfully aware that I had screwed up and was hoping there was no Fed around Bethel.

The landing was pretty uneventful, but the approach speed was in the 737 category to stay airborne.
As soon as we taxied in and shut down, the tail fell on the ground.

Got away with it due to large amounts of luck and a forgiving airplane.
Guessing we were about 2000 lbs over, perhaps more..:0

Loading procedure for the 206 or 207 was the same; load up the passengers front to rear, and stand at the back by the right door, ands in the small of the back, palm beneath the horizontal stab, when it started squatting down enough that finger pressure wouldn't hold it, start moving weight forward. In the 207, stuff the nose baggage, and whatever was left went on or between the passengers. If day light was showing between the pax, the airplane wasn't loaded yet.

Both airplanes were great rough field airplanes. If the field wasn't too rough, set the flaps by matching the aileron down angle, and go. If the field was rough with loose chips, slow roll with slow power application, and lower the flaps late in the takeoff to protect them. We often fueled with jerry cans, and used 2X6's or branches to climb on top of the wing with the fuel can. If it wasn't a long turnaround, we'd land, put the airplane on the left mag, chock the wheels with a rock, and load.

The 207 I thought was a better flying airplane, but the 206 and extra power and climb due to same engine power and propeller, but smaller, lighter airframe and sometimes lighter load. Either one is a truck. Great airplanes.

A friend of mine had one. From what I understand, they are a fixed gear 210 with six seats and struts. Remember when the early 210's had struts and their retracts were not tubular like they are now, but were spring steel like a 182?

Yes,

210 With Struts Salem, IN to Fort McMurry, Alberta, Canada http://www.aircraftdelivery.net/ferryflights/1.jpg

I flew a 206 Standard and a 207 with a Full Robertson STOL including Drooping Ailerons talk about an easy lander and more stable in flight compared to the 206. But the 207 had an advantage "STOL kit" never flown a 206 with a STOL kit so my data is tainted hahahaha.

Didn't Cessna for a very brief period have a Cessna 208? And no I'm NOT talking about the Caravan. It was basically an 8pax 207. I tried looking it up but all 208 searches come up with the Caravan. I coulda sworn I saw it in an old Jane's book years ago.

Yes.

The 207 had a different wing from the factory than the 206 though many of them have been cuffed to give them better short field performance. The 207 is easier to handle in crosswinds mostly because of the lower stance and wider tube steel gear. The 206 is quicker to get off the ground, cruises faster (even with the pod installed) and lands shorter. In the menagerie that I operated there were as big a differences between aircraft of the same type as there were between the 206 and the 207's, but they had all been upside down in the tundra at some point...at least once!

Honestly, except for crosswinds in excess of thirty knots or so I prefered the 206.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back